VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son just bought a new to him 2013 Passat with about 95K on the odometer. The other day, while pulling into the gas station, the engine just died. He tried to start it but it would only turn over. Turns out the new timing belt was completely broken. Oddly, the timing belt was replaced less than 1800 miles ago. Poor kid hasn't even made his first car payment.

I had it towed to a local shop and the mechanic said it has 2 bent valves. I am assuming he figured this out via a compression test as he has not removed the head.

His current quote is $5500 to fix the valves but he said he's not sure he has the proper tools to do it so he suggested replacing the motor instead for $6000!

Am I missing something with these TDI engines? Are they that hard to work on?

A local shop can machine the head and fix the valves for under $500. Could I not just pull the head, have that done and get a timing belt kit and do this all myself? The quote seems stupid for the work being done.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My son just bought a new to him 2013 Passat with about 95K on the odometer. The other day, while pulling into the gas station, the engine just died. He tried to start it but it would only turn over. Turns out the new timing belt was completely broken. Oddly, the timing belt was replaced less than 1800 miles ago. Poor kid hasn't even made his first car payment.

I had it towed to a local shop and the mechanic said it has 2 bent valves. I am assuming he figured this out via a compression test as he has not removed the head.

His current quote is $5500 to fix the valves but he said he's not sure he has the proper tools to do it so he suggested replacing the motor instead for $6000!

Am I missing something with these TDI engines? Are they that hard to work on?

A local shop can machine the head and fix the valves for under $500. Could I not just pull the head, have that done and get a timing belt kit and do this all myself? The quote seems stupid for the work being done.

Thanks in advance!
Howdy,

Due to some suspicious HPFP maintenance, my daughter's 2010 Jetta TDI slipped the timing belt and has probably bent a valve or two.

I plant to do all the work myself, except for the valve job. I'll be deleting the DPF and EGR cooler while I'm at it and flashing a good tune to take advantage of the removals.

I don't expect the cost to be much more than the machine shop bill for the head, unless a piston was cracked. We'll see.

The resale value of this car makes it worth it. Otherwise it would be parted out and that would be a shame...

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
It's diyable. You'll need triple squares and torx, maybe Allens, I don't recall. I would guess $1500 when all said and done. $5500 seems like a lot. But I'd be having a chat with whomever did that timing belt job, as in "you wanna fix this or go to court".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I picked the car up from the shop. They put a timing belt on and the car will run but it sounds like hell. I decided to put it on a trailer and took it over to a true, recommended VW repair shop. That shop is going to check the timing and will do a compression test. I figure it's worth the $200 before I go tearing into it.

@terpsgeorgia thank you so much for the info on the head. It may become very useful soon!

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Make sure to have them check the torsion value, if it is 0, the timing is likely off. If it sounds like a serious exhaust leak and torsion is 0, you're advanced and use the sprocket to retard it a bit. I have seen more than a few belts put on with that behaviour.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got back from a hurricane deployment last night an finally had a chance to go by the shop I took it to. Here was the diagnosis -

"Removed glow plugs and performed a compression test. Surprisingly compression test passed marginally averaging 25bar per cylinder. Removed injectors and valve cover to inspect valve train. Found both exhaust rocker arms for cylinder two broken, hydraulic adjusters for both valves damaged, damage to cylinder head, damage to exhaust camshaft lobe. Could not locate all the broken pieces from the rockers, some might be in the oil pan. The rocker arms most likely broke due to piston to valve contact. There is only 5PSI of leak down in cylinder two. Hydraulic adjuster bore closest to the front of the engine on cylinder 2 is damaged. We will need to either replace the cylinder head or remove it and send it off to a machine shop in an attempt to repair the damage. -recommend replace cylinder head with exhaust camshaft, lifters, hydraulic adjusters or remove cylinder head and send off to machine shop in an attempt to repair damage "

1 - 6 of 6 Posts