VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Sorry - I'm very automobile/mechanically uninclined!

Starting today, my 2006 Jetta TDI engine (150,000 miles on it) is making a very rough rattle sound when I accelerate, especially up a hill. Here are the facts:

1. Was driving my car this evening and when I started up a hill, I could hear a gravelly/rattling sound coming from the engine. I immediately stopped at a nearby store and checked the oil. It was on the dipstick in the "must add" section (that dipstick is *very* hard to read).

2. Owner's manual said to use 5W40, and if none, use 5W30. The store had no 5W40 so I used 5W30. I added the whole liter. It came up to the "Do not add" line.

3. I drove home. Sound of engine no better. Basically fine on straight-aways, but just as bad going up a hill as before I added the oil. Not twice as loud, but there's definitely something there.

4. Could be my imagination, but I think there's a bit of loss of power going up hills. Cruise control holds the car at highway speeds, going up hills, etc.

5. Checked oil at home (15 miles after adding oil). Still at the upper limit.

So basically I was down 1 liter of oil. Have I damaged my engine, or is this a different problem? I'm wondering if this is crankshaft or what? Can anyone make me feel better? :)

Thanks in advance.
Dave

·
Registered
37 Posts
Does the noise change in gear or nuetral, park? If so could be DMF, if not you could be experiencing the cam wear issue. Eitherway you need to get it to someone that knows TDI's, I suggest you find a trusted Guru or a GOOD dealer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car basically sounds normal when idling, and makes the sound when accelerating or when under strain (like going up a hill).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm taking it in later this week to be checked, but I want to make sure that I get fixed only what is broken. If it turns out it is cam lobes and/or follower, does this typically mean a complete camshaft replacement? I called a local VW shop and they said $3000 - $4000 CAD for a camshaft replacement.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I'm taking it in later this week to be checked, but I want to make sure that I get fixed only what is broken. If it turns out it is cam lobes and/or follower, does this typically mean a complete camshaft replacement? I called a local VW shop and they said $3000 - $4000 CAD for a camshaft replacement.
That seems a bit high.
Check out idparts.com or boraparts.com for camshaft replacement kits, BRM engine. Then a few hours labor. It's not that hard to replace just the camshaft since you can just slip the timing belt off at TDC. To replace the TB you also need to remove the motor mount and you should also change the water pump at the same time, but if not, the hardest parts of the timing belt change don't apply. Since the original TB change interval is 100k miles downgraded to 80k miles recently, I hope it's still not on the original!

Look through the camshaft replacement FAQ for pumpe duse engines for some videos of the problem and how to do it.

I don't know what your problem is but another possibility is a bad flywheel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies.

I took it in today, and the mechanic listened and said right away that it was the camshaft - though not nearly as expensive as originally said. It is about $900 for the camshaft, and about $600 to install, then about $200 in other bolts, lifters, etc. So since they had me primed for $3000, I feel like I'm getting a deal :) Psychology is alive and well in the car repair business. :)

I had the flywheel replaced about a year ago. And I had the TB replaced at about 90,000 miles along with the water pump. I suppose I'm due for another flywheel soon :-(

All repairs aside, I'm very pleased with the Jetta. I've driven North American cars for many years, and they just felt like jalopies quite early on. But I can say that after 240,000 kilometers, this Jetta still seems to drive like the day I drove it off the lot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts