when my 97 tdi (passat) went low on coolant and over heated? is the light on the dash with reference to a temp in fact an over temp or low fluid light? and what most likely failed (sensor) that needs replaced?
I think the light that goes on is in reference to a low fluid light. There's a sensor inside the coolant tank that senses low fluid. The wire could be bad too or the plug could have corrosion. VW plugs are pretty good about it though but your grounds could also be bad. There's some grounds under the battery and around the wire plug and such.
If you're talking about the red LED at the lower left hand corner of the instrument cluster than I'm pretty sure it's the level only. The temp goes to the temp gauge. I've never overheated so I don't know if the red LED goes on when you overheat.
The wiring, connector, or coolant tank could be bad if the light is on now and everything is fine. If the light is off now then I wouldn't worry about it.
These aren't the most reliable instrument clusters but if you know you overheated then it's probably not the circuit board. IMHO, the light on the dashboard can come on with EITHER low level and/or overheating.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum
A forum community dedicated to Audi, Volkswagen, Porsche, and all turbo diesel owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about performance, modifications, troubleshooting, TDI, maintenance, and more!