VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when my 97 tdi (passat) went low on coolant and over heated? is the light on the dash with reference to a temp in fact an over temp or low fluid light? and what most likely failed (sensor) that needs replaced?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh god a coolant questions!

looks like the coolant discussion is rather fun around the tdi world just like it was when I had a vanagon (coolant, wheels, tires, oil...everything was a fight to to the death)...

without having to read 101 posts again, i'll make my request simple.

Note: I've drained the cooling system and flushed

Q: what options do I have in the real world where I can get something cheap and simple and make the Vw gods happy.

let the games begin...

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think the light that goes on is in reference to a low fluid light. There's a sensor inside the coolant tank that senses low fluid. The wire could be bad too or the plug could have corrosion. VW plugs are pretty good about it though but your grounds could also be bad. There's some grounds under the battery and around the wire plug and such.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
If you're talking about the red LED at the lower left hand corner of the instrument cluster than I'm pretty sure it's the level only. The temp goes to the temp gauge. I've never overheated so I don't know if the red LED goes on when you overheat.

The wiring, connector, or coolant tank could be bad if the light is on now and everything is fine. If the light is off now then I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
These aren't the most reliable instrument clusters but if you know you overheated then it's probably not the circuit board. IMHO, the light on the dashboard can come on with EITHER low level and/or overheating.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts