VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone...
I have a golf IV TDI (all red) 1.9 150hp, I have it for 5 years now.
I remember when I bought the car it was pretty fast and so on, now I think it's not that fast as it was before, so I thought of cleaning the intercooler and anything what you guys suggest to increase performance.
My friend has his own garage, he's a mechanic.
I also have an issue with slow down when I drive in highway for example or up the hill .. when accelerating at 2000 rpm car feels like it's being dragged back .. or like the handbreak is one it suddenly loses power but restores it automatically after 2-3 seconds.
what do you think is my problem? what should I clean and so on or what should I replace.

thnx in advance

·
Registered
4 Posts
removed maf

Hi I have removed the MAF sensor (only unplugged it) and i tested the car .. lol like it had no turbo it was very slow .. does this mean that the MAF is ok? I have read somewhere that after you unplug the MAF sensor jack and the car slows down the MAF sensor is OK.
any other suggestions?

p.s I'm about to clean the entire intercooler on saturday for my golf mk4 150hp tdi all red, any instructions?
p.s.s will it clean the vacuume aswell?
thnx in advance.
eddy

·
Registered
298 Posts
Don't bother cleaning the intercooler unless the exterior is totally filthy. The interior will always have a light coat of oil. Unless it's clogged with a paper towel or cracked it's not causing your low power. It sounds like the MAF might be OK but if that's how your car feels when you lose power it might not.

Clean what vacuum? Check all the vacuum lines thoroughly for cracks, splits, or frayed ends. The turbo can't work if there's a leak.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
filthy exterior

Hey .. yah the exterior is filthy, at the bottom of this pipe I can see lots of oil and stuff like that.. I heard that these pipes need to be cleaned.
cleaning the intercooler will help in performance?
also what should I check i have VAG COM.
I have just tried the car it still uses power at 2000 rpm then it restores itself.

I'm gonna check all of these on Saturday and I might post some pics aswell.

I'll try to find a used MAF somewhere just to try out.. but it needs to be GOLF 4 TDI all red MAF or just a MAF? mine is ARL though.

p.s it's important if anyone can tell me what should I check in VAG COM
thnx

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Don't bother cleaning the intercooler insides because there's oil mist constantly blowing through. It's like trying to clean the dipstick. The exterior could be cleaned though. It won't help your power loss issue I'm sure.

When was the fuel filter last changed? If it's clogged it could result in low power.

The MAF checks in the power loss article are for the 90hp North American engine. I'm not sure what the MAF should read in the 150hp engine but if you log it and post a graph it could give some clues. Not sure what the ARL engine uses.

As mentioned, the other obvious suspects are the vacuum lines. Check every single one because if it's frayed and leaking vacuum or pressure the turbo won't work well. Using vag com, while driving normally, revving the engine up and down in gear, check MAF requested vs. MAF actual, boost requested vs. boost actual (MAP - manifold pressure), and fuel injection quantity vs. actual. Also check injector balance - there should be a screen in the engine section measuring blocks with cyl 1-4 , each one should be close.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
vag com output

17552 air mass measurers -G70 interruption/short-circuit after mass

this is what I got from vag output
what should I do .. can I repair it? or I must replace it.
thnx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts