VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next weekend I'm flying from Kansas to Wyoming to buy and drive home a 2005 Passat wagon. Will go from northern Wyoming to Denver, and then Denver back home. I plan to spend the night some place between buying the car and Denver. I'll stay with friends the second night in Denver before heading home.

I'm cheap and I like camping anyway, so I'm considering finding some place to just camp out on the first night and spend the night in the back of the Passat. Part of that is I feel like checking a tent would be a hassle. I think I could include a sleeping bag in a suitcase OK, and am thinking about/planning to buy some kind of camping sleeping pad there-it appears there are a couple camping stores that this would be possible.

I know I can lift the bottoms of the back seat up to allow the seat backs to lay down pretty flat. Question is, do they fold down flat enough to be reasonably comfortable to sleep back there for one night? I'm 5'11.5" tall-will I have enough room?

Anybody done this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi the seats fold flat I'm 5'10 and sleep in mine on a roll up mattress but i can't put my legs out straight unless I have the tailgate open, I bungee cord it so it only opens about a foot and click the latch up so the light stays off.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2013 VW JSW TDI, MT
71 Posts
I am 6' and can sleep in the back of my JSW and lay flat. The key is that I have to remove the back seat, at least the one on one side (there are split back seats), not just fold it in front of the backrest when it comes down. And then I remove the headrest flip it 180 degrees and stick it back into the backrest and this way it acts as head support. I only have to put a pillow on top of it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 Jetta TDI. Back seats came out 1st thing. I'm 5'10" and can comfortably stretch out 4 great nights rest with sun roof open. Use Exped camp pad and sleep bag to accommodate any temperature. Just Took 3 week xc trip to visit my daughter going 2 school on east coast. Simply stay overnight at any official interstate wayside where overnight camping is always permitted for travelers. Of course, it's free and they all have clean restrooms, water, snacks and ice cream. Always monitored by highway patrol , so it's very safe. Many have BBQ grills , picnic tables etc. Hot tip is bring ear plugs in case it's crowded and u get stuck close to a trucker running his engine. And have something comfortable to wear over ur eyes to block out the lights. I brought a cooler full of food and propane camp stove to have hot Starbucks coffee as soon as I woke. It was an awesome, relaxing and free way to xc travel that I do every summer! 😀

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sweet. I checked our wrecked Passat and I don't think I'll want to take the tools to loosen the seat cushion, but I usually curl a little when sleeping so I think that'll be fine. And I can lay diagonally.

I plan to buy a sleeping mat at the destination and possibly a small backpacking stove to be able to heat some water. I've kinda wanted both anyway, so this will be a good excuse!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts