VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I've read the FAQ's concerning keys, skc and immobilizers and I'm not sure how to go about what I want to do.

I have a 2001 Jetta TDI built in February of 2001. I only have 1 key that came with the car when I bought it - a valet key without a key fob. It must be a valet key because I cannot open the trunk or lock the glove box with the key.

I would like to have a second key in case the only key I have becomes misplaced. How can I do this in the most cost effective way?

I have the VCDS tool.

I don't have the black plastic tag given by VW, unless, for some reason, it's attached to the car in a place that I'm not aware of?

Is there a way to get the SKC using VCDS?

I assume from what I have read that I have immobilizer 3 (immo3). If by chance I have immo2, will it make a difference in terms of being able to do anything on my own given that I have VCDS? (i.e. use VCDS to match up a new key with immobilizer)

I really just want a key that will unlock the car, open the trunk, start the car. I'm not as concerned about having the key fob.

I know I can buy an OEM uncut key for about $56 from a non-dealer source. It seems I have to have the dealer cut the key, but do I have to pay the dealer to program it to work with the immobilizer or can I do it myself with VCDS, or does the answer depend on if I have immo2 or immo3?

Thanks in advance for advice!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Simple way to fix this

1.) There is a place on ebay that sells a complete remote (new shell) with an un-cut key and a new un-programmed immo RFID chip, for about 50 bucks. I have bought 2 so far and love them. They even come with batteries. The only thing that is not new is the "Board" that works the door locks only.

2.Dig the RFID chip out of your valet key and glue it to the plastic trim near the ignition cylinder.

3.Take the valet key and the new bay remote(s) to a non-VW locksmith and have key(s) cut. $35 Ea. here in North Carolina.

4. Program the door remote yourself. Super simple, no VAG com required.

If you insist you can program the IMMO and not put the RFID in the dash, but who would know? Only us and your friends, and neither are going to boost your car. We already have TDI's. Any thief determined enough to steal your car will roll back it, or Dollie it. Not many folks can pick a VW ignition cylinder.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input and step by step instructions. The only key I have is a valet - I the key will not unlock the trunk, for example. If I get a non-VW locksmith to cut another key, is it based on the key that I already have (which means the new key will not unlock the trunk either) or is there another way to cut the key as a "master" key?

·
Registered
26 Posts
The key you get from ebay will be a full bore key blank. What I have been told and upon observation, it appears true, and I am going to put mine on the Bridgeport to verify, is if you look down the the key end ways, like someone is pointing a knife at your eye, look at the edges. they are not cut as deep on the valet key. The keys I got from ebay were cut deeper, and all you need from the valet key is the zig-zag race track looking profile. I am not 100% sure on this but I would bet chitty chitty bang bang would know for sure. He is the man.

I own a CNC mill and want to cut my own keys, but getting the trace from the original key, and into a cad-cam program is my stumbling block. But that is another story for another time. I could scan a picture like the guys in the UK but I don't have a good enough raster to vector program on Mastercam.

·
Super Moderator
9,224 Posts
It doesn't matter where you get your key from you'll still need the SKC to programme it and VCDS won't find that try VAG TACHO or VAG Commander 1.4 or search FAQ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
It can be done...manually

I own a CNC mill and want to cut my own keys, but getting the trace from the original key, and into a cad-cam program is my stumbling block. But that is another story for another time. I could scan a picture like the guys in the UK but I don't have a good enough raster to vector program on Mastercam.
I have cut my own key on a mill before and it worked perfectly. I took a good picture of the key and scaled it up. I then inserted a center line down the groove in the key and measured out the coordinates for each turn on a X, Y axis and recorded those plots. After that you have everything you need, just manually put those into mastercam and use a .125 end mill bit on your mill.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts