VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/multi/blindspotmirror.htm

This writeup shows how to replace the side view mirrors. If you leave the power mirror switch in the middle, it's actually "heat" and will burn out the heating element. You can replace the mirror glass to restore the heating function or replace the mirror glass with a curved, convex, blind spot mirror with this writeup.

Also clickable part numbers to check prices.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
The passat uses the same mirror as the other cars? I've seen the mirrors and I thought that they weren't swappable.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some years of the passat uses the same mirror GLASS but not the mirror housing, the plastic part. The passat stubby mirror is not swappable, all mk5 jetta-rabbit-passat mirror GLASS is the same. Not too useful since there's only a jetta TDI so far, lol.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Thanks for the writeup, I didn't even notice that the mirror heater wasn't working until you mentioned it. I don't understand why they couldn'tuse a flat mirror with the blind spot section. In the picture of the blind spot mirror, you can see the line where it curves out. The problem with the mirror is that everything looks smaller and farther away. Why couldn't they use the flat section with the blind spot? And since these are Europen mirrors, are they technically the passenger side mirror being used on the driver's side?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In some countries, yes, the pass side mirror is our driver's side. It really doesn't matter unless you have a stubby pass side mirror, which was only used on early passats that were not available with the TDI engine (in the US) anyways.

As for why the curve is so great with the blind spot mirror, no idea, probably a euro mirror regulation. I would have preferred a flatter main section with a mild blind spot mirror but you get used to it.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
If it were too flat, the mirror would have a much sharper line between the normal and curved section and you would lose a lot of the blind spot field of vision.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
FYI, when I click on some of the links, the window turns into a small window. Can you change it so that it opens in a new window?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
and assuming that your car was optioned with heated mirrors. The middle position on the power mirror switch is heat. It's not linked to the rear window defroster.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
The connectors behind the mirror are pretty poorly designed, they aren't protected from all the grime that gets behind the mirror, severely corroding the contacts. When swapping to new mirrors, clean the connectors and put some dielectric grease on them to slow down corrosion.

I believe that DOT approval for a passenger side mirror requires the disclaimer "Objects in Mirror Are Closer Then They Appear", the aspherical sets from Europe that I have seen do not have that text.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts