VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I need some quick advice on spring and shock/strut replacement. Recently I had my 09 Jetta TDI into the dealership for the TDI approved emission modification and they said 3 of my springs are broken. I didn't have a chance to talk in depth (picked up after service desk closed) so I'm guessing its just a small break at the bottom or something, I haven't had a chance to inspect myself since I'm away from home right now and dont have access to any tools, but I didn't notice anything at all and it still rides fine. I've read the posted how-to's on here for spring replacement and they're great, what I need to know is should I replace my shocks/struts at the same time. I've had the car for about 50 000 km now, and I'm really not sure when the previous owner did them (or if they were ever done, the car is at 175km now). I know you can just push down on the corner of the car to see if they're shot, but they're not shot, what I'd like to know is if there is a way to tell how old they are or roughly how much life might be left in them. Is there any kind of markings on them I can look for to check if they're factory?

And on that note, can anyone recommend good strut/spring combos in Canada, I'd rather just buy them together and not have to assemble myself. I just want 100% stock, no lowering or tightening unless its a good idea for some reason but this car is just for highway driving. I took a look at germanOEM but they don't seem to have any stock replacements and what they do have seems to be very expensive. I do plan on going with germanOEM for my rear springs, shocks and hardware unless anyone has a better suggestion.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Taking the front struts apart can be a pain, especially if the top nut above the strut bearing is rusty or if the strut bearing is seized onto the strut. Getting the spring off also requires care, I had a bearing seize on to the strut and getting everything apart was a challenge and can be downright dangerous, so be very careful. For the amount of time it took me to get the springs off the struts I think I'll just buy the complete unit with strut and springs already assembled.

To know if your struts or shocks need replacing, have a look to see if they are leaking, if yes then it's time to change them, if there is a lot of corrosion you might consider being proactive and swap them out while you are doing the springs.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
I just put a set of Koni STR shocks and struts on my beetle. Made a huge difference but the originals did have 275K miles on them. I had totally blown out the right front on a pothole. While I was at it I changed all the misc hardware (bushings, mounts etc..).

I guess I'm good for another 250K miles or so. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts