VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone PMed me about the suspension blocker, thanks, I added the notes below to the buying checklists. I also found some pics online.

Make sure the dealer removes the front suspension blockers. These are black or orange bumpers that lock the springs for shipment. It's on the delivery checklist but the box often gets checked off even though they didn't do it. If the front rides hard and high or you hear a noise from the front, check for the bumpers. This is what they look like before removal (on right) and after being mangled from driving around (orange, on left) because the dealer didn't remove them. It can dislodge the shock boot.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Since the spring is riding on these wouldn't it also make the car rider higher in addition to riding harder? Cheap substitue for raising low cars? I've heard of lift kits, maybe someone could try this instead?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is not a lift kit, it's a block to lock the springs during delivery. If you left it in it would be like riding on the bump stops - it raises spring rate in a bad way. You would ride higher at first but I think it would wear out any coils that aren't blocked.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The orange thing looks like something else. Maybe a suspension limiter that came off? I dont' see how the rubber blocker could get jammed inside the spring like that since it's on the outside.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi there, I just registered and joined, so thank you. I stumbled upon this site when I was researching a possible purchase of a new GOLF TDI.

I have a 2000 gas beetle, and I after driving a diesel VW in Spain that a friend of mine has, I liked it so much that I always thought that my next car would be a diesel. I used your site, and it really helped me in making the leap.

I live in the Seattle area, and I did some searching, and very shortly after the first 2010 Golf TDIs arrived, I saw that there was one with the specs and one of my top 2 color choices that I was looking for in Burlington WA (N. of Seattle). I waited 3 weeks, but to my suprise the car was still on the lot this week, so I went up on Tuesday for a test drive.

Because of this site, and thread/buyers guide, the first thing I looked at was, whether or not there were orange blockers on the springs behind the front wheels. Sure enough, they were still there. They took them off. Scary that I had to tell them to do it.

Well, to make a long story short, I am now the proud owner of a 2010 GOLF TDI 4 door DSG (my first time not buying a stick)- United Gray Metallic, with sunroof, Heated seats, Rubber Mats and a trunk liner.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol, glad I could help! Did the orange blockers look exactly like the black ones (outside of the spring and not inside) except for the color? I've never seen the orange blockers, I only found a picture of mangled orange pieces which were probably blockers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
They looked like the black blocker in the picture on the right, but were an orangish-yellow color similar to what is in the left picture inside the spring, and yes they were outside the spring.

My Tdi also has a flaw. The long decorative metallic trim piece that is on the inside of the drivers door, is carbon fiber. On the rest of the doors it is Metallic, matching the rest of the trim pieces in the car. It is strange.

It is cool looking, but it doesn't match anything else. The dealer has ordered me a new door panel. They said that it came from the factory that way. :dunno

I'm not sure if I should have them replace it. it's starting to grow on me.

·
Registered
135 Posts
this is rather hilarious, but thank you so much for the info. I've seen photos of some Golf TDI's at the dealerships with the front end sitting high like a 4x4 and was wondering what the *&@# was up? Now I know and thankfully it was not a problem with the manufacture.

·
Registered
30 Posts
orange blockers were on my Golf too

My car had an orange blocker on the front left spring too and thanks to Chitty's post I noticed it, it was riding really rough over bumps. How do I check to see if it caused any damage? I had VW remove it for me.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I doubt it damaged the shock or spring but it could have damaged the shock boot. Make sure the shock boot is intact and down. If it's pushed up, have them fix it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts