VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people,

I was having problems with hard shifts for a while, tried adjusting shifter linkage once it helped for a day or two, then I replaced gear oil and bled air from clutch lines and adjusted linkage again. Everything was fine for a week, then problems reoccurred. Then I tried dissembling shifter linkage completely to try to clean it and lubricate every pin. Even tried to remove the shifter weight but after removing the nut I was scared to pull the shifter weight out after realizing that it is mounted on a star shape stud like the one for steering wheel. I was not sure if I have to put it back in the exact same place so decided not to play with it. So the shifter bracket that has two pins was removed, and both cable catchers. Everything was cleaned nicely and pins lubricated with grease. After assembling everything I am unable to lock the shifter linkage by pressing 1/2 inch down and pulling plastic arm up. Shifter linkage is locking but in different position not like in DG video. In video the plastic slider is supposed to be in the middle so I am using this as a reference but when that plastic white slider piece is in the middle and when I push it down 1/2 inch it is not locking. Now my gears are completely out of adjustment and don't know what to do. Car is stuck in garage, and need it for work tomorrow please help. Al

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
It's maybe just sticky, you could try giving a spray with something and letting it soak in for 15 minutes or so, I read somewhere else someone having a similar problem but it turned out it was just sticking.:)

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seatman - when I push the linkage down so I can turn the plastic locking pin up in order to lock it nothing happens. Linkage is still moving up and down left and right. The locking pin goes in the up position but is not doing anything.

Two Mikes - no I did not remove the weight after realizing that it could be tricky to put it back. The plastic locking mechanism is not working. I hope it is not broken. And I wish I could see somewhere how it works, or if I can improvise with something else to lock it

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anyone with instructions on how to replace part number 02J 301 358C that is the plastic locking lever for shifting linkage. Diesel Geek mentions in one of his comments that this plastic lever can sometimes break inside. Mine is probably broken now.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Hey up, I sent you a pm but it incase you didn't get it I'd thought I'd post it here too.

Did you figure out the linkage locking? I just did mine and it wasn't quite as straight forward as it looks in the video, you have to really push quite hard on the locking pin into the gearbox at the same time as twisting it, I was starting to think mine was broken too but no it was just awkward.:)

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seatman, sorry for my late response, I got back from my road trip (2200 miles round trip) yesterday evening and wasn't checking forum activities during that time.

I agree with you that the plastic locking lever did not go up that easy like video shows, I know mine was working at one time because I was able to lock it before. Now I am 100% sure that it is broken. I had to adjust it by trial and error. It was PITA doing it by myself but I think I got it close now. Hopefully someone will have instructions how to replace that lever.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Doesn't the whole tower assembly just bolt on to the top of the box? I'll have to investigate that, it sounds like a handy bit of info. If it just unbolts then I'd imagine it'd be pretty straight forward to get to the locking pin. There's a link somewhere to the vortex site and it has pics etc of a complete strip down and rebuild of the 5spd box, I'll have a look and see if I can find the thread and post a link back here.:)

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
thank you!: Yes it looks simple, but I am not sure if there is anything that can suddenly drop down into the trans if certain procedures are not followed. For an example: for someone that does not know replacing valve springs looks simple, but if you don't pressurize cylinder with the air, or fill cylinder with a rope through the spark plug opening with a rope and bring that cylinder to the TDC valve will drop down into the cylinder. I am afraid of the similar situation, since I don't have the exploded view of the components for the lever housing.

Thank you - Al

1 - 11 of 11 Posts