VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi People,
I bought my first golf mk4 gtdi, i am very happy with the car easy to service so far but it has got more problems than pointed out when i bought it. However I will sort them out and pass on any solutions that i may find. My current problem is gearbox related in that when the golf has been standing all night it starts ok but once it has reached normal operating temperature, gears 1 and reverse cannot be engaged. With the engine turned off you can engage them.So far i have bled the clutch several times, investing in a gunson easibleeder, this made no difference so i am about to remove the gearbox and fit a new clutch. If any one has any information on the DEA gearbox or AHF engine i would be grateful as the dealer informs me that's whats fitted. The main dealer here is very helpful with info and parts, the prices are competitive as well, with the knowledge they will car fit your.
If anyone has done a clutch on a DEA gearbox, or had similar problems if you get in touch.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Huntly as in not far from Dundee? I'm up Glenisla. So what I do know is your car is the 110 non PD I think similar to the ALH and I also think it could have the wrong oil in the gearbox, mine is a bit like yours regarding first gear but I'm holding back for now til I have the spare cash for the VR6 sachs clutch. I'm fortunate to have the G60 smf flywheel as standard on my car but if you'd like to go the smf route then here's a good deal,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140551425977

or you could look around for a second hand flywheel and just buy the clutch with bearing for £150. Have you tried the linkage adjustment? It's fairly easy to do and might help your situation especially as it affects 1st and reverse.:)

welcometomyturbodies

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Wow, that is very strange. Can you rule out the clutch slave cylinder is not leaking? Gears 1 and reverse do not have synchronizers on them but I don't know why they would not engage if the engine is warm. My guess is that the clutch is not disengaging properly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Huntly as in not far from Dundee? I'm up Glenisla. So what I do know is your car is the 110 non PD I think similar to the ALH and I also think it could have the wrong oil in the gearbox, mine is a bit like yours regarding first gear but I'm holding back for now til I have the spare cash for the VR6 sachs clutch. I'm fortunate to have the G60 smf flywheel as standard on my car but if you'd like to go the smf route then here's a good deal,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140551425977

or you could look around for a second hand flywheel and just buy the clutch with bearing for £150. Have you tried the linkage adjustment? It's fairly easy to do and might help your situation especially as it affects 1st and reverse.:)

welcometomyturbodies
Thanks for the information.Yes I am just north of Aberdeen in the sticks. I have bought the vw recommended clutch and gearbox oil as i did not know if was a gearbox or just a clutch change. I would be interested if you could tell me what the benefits are of the G60 smf flywheel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, that is very strange. Can you rule out the clutch slave cylinder is not leaking? Gears 1 and reverse do not have synchronizers on them but I don't know why they would not engage if the engine is warm. My guess is that the clutch is not disengaging properly.
I have bled the clutch several times which has not worked, i will be doing a clutch and gearbox oil change soon, and let you know how things progress.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
The G60 is a single mass flywheel as in it's like a regular flywheel but a lot of tdi owners convert to them because the dmf dual mass flywheel can be an expensive and pita piece of kit. If you look in the faq about clutches and flywheels it's all in there. Also the smf can take more punishment and once fitted it never needs changed unlike the dmf which you're suposed to change at the same time as doing the clutch.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts