VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, recently I had to remove the belly pan from my car to check for damage since the car bottomed out, scraping the wheels on the arches and cracking the belly pan, on a deep part of the road (don't know how to explain better).

I noticed a brownish leak on the oil pan (thinking it was an oil leak) coming from behind the crankshaft pulley, so I decided to remove everything to get access to the crankshaft.

I started removing the fuel pipes and the coolant return pipe to remove the upper timing belt cover. Then I procceded to remove the aux belt, then the crankshaft pulley.

I then saw all this black gunk that I thought it was oil but it wasn't, it was not greasy and it smelled rusty, I then figured it was coolant that got burnt from the heat, I looked up and saw the water pump leaking from that little hole. From my research it is quite common on the 1.6 tdi's.

After cleaning the best I could with some paper towel, I reinstalled everything, when I was tightening the pulley bolts the crankshaft was rotating at the same time, I wasn't sure if I should lock it with something but since the torque setting is quite low for this bolts I just stopped tightening when the crank turned.

After reinstalling everything I plugged the battery on, then I went to start the car, it worked for like 1 or 2 seconds then stalled. I tried a 2nd time but it just turns.

My only thought was it could be air trapped inside the fuel pipes since when i removed them it leaked a bit of fuel, so I grabbed my vcds and did the Transfer fuel pump test, then I did the aux fuel pump but it didn't work, it gave this error "Test Aborted - Safety reasons | ERROR" never seen it before. When i changed the fuel filter it was working. Also scanned for errors and nothing showed up.

I searched on the internet and some people said it could be the key so I tried my spare key, first time almost worked, second time just cranks and the engine rocks alot.

I don't know what to do more. I'm very afraid that I damaged the HPFP.

Can someone enlight me ?

This are the pipes that i removed.

·
Super Moderator
9,334 Posts
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

Car: Seat Ibiza, only tells us the model not the year or engine size. It looks brown from the water pump drain hole but the can be oil as coolant brown is like canal water.

You have VCDS check out all systems.

Post moved to correct section and Seat Ibiza added to title.

Any problems search TDI Wiki as that covers write ups and forum posts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I didn't know about that, I already introduced myself.

The coolant on the expansion tank looks clear and always looked clear and orange. So it's strange because it looks brown when coming from the water pump, you are right. But if it was oil mixed wouldn't it make the the coolant milky chocolate ?

I do have VCDS but as I said, it doesn't give any errors and I already primed the fuel pump many times, the Transfer fuel pump test more specifically.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts