VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct place to post - but its a 2007 SEAT Altea - so its a MkV!

I attempted the cambelt yesterday, and oh-my-god was it a killer. I followed the excellent guides on this site, and also the instructions in Elsawin. Here is a list of problems I encountered, and something to think of for those attempting it soon.

The first problem I found was no easy place to drain coolant (I was doing water pump as well). This car doesnt have a lower rad hose that you can access from below. The lower rad hose clip was in a place I just couldnt get to to release it. I dont have the special remote pliers - so next time I will!

I pulled the central hose near the oil filter. It spewed out most of the coolant - but I still had some gush out of the waterpump hole - something to think of if you attempt it yourself.

My 'Laser' crankshaft lock didnt fit very well. After about an hour of trial fits it would finally work as expected - I think it had some 'high-spots' on the casting - which made it really difficult to slide on and off of the crank sprocket.

My 'Laser' camshaft locking pin - OH MY GOD! I got it in, but it felt very tight. After rotating the engine, using the mirror etc I was confident the positioning was correct - the pin was just a really tight fit. The MAJOR problem was after I finished I couldnt not retrieve the pin! It took me about 1.5 hours to remove the pin. It was wedged solid. After many swear words I finally removed it using mole grips, by wiggling and prying. My fear was it breaking off in the cylinder head. I double checked all the timing using a drill bit of the correct diameter. I will check the torsion value using VCDS when done. The message here possibly buy better quality tools?

Finally the middle horizontal engine mount bolt is not accessible through a hole in the wing - as there isnt the hole in the wing on my car! Room is really restricted - I could not get a torque wrench on the bolt- there isnt enough space between the bolt head and the car body. I had to adapt, and use a 3/4 drive ratchet (with short 16mm socket), and use an extension bar to get the nm and extra turn. I hope it is ok!

So these are some things to watch out for if you are attempting it. The problem is you can't test fit the tools - as you have stripped it all down by the time you try to use them. Also this was my first modern cambelt, so I didnt know what to expect.

Overall very knackering. I still have the brakes to bleed, and the engine oil to change - then she is all done!

Thanks again for the advice on this site.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Lol laser tools, they're not the top quality are they? You'd be better with a some bits of wood and a nail file:D
Well at least you've got it done now:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cambelt change guide

Thanks for the post regarding issues when changing cambelt. Can anyone point me in the right direction for the guide for changing a cambelt for a 2007 Seat Altea TDI.

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks

Many thanks Seatman. Will hopefully be changing my cambelt in the next few weeks. Already have the cambelt kit, so this is this guide is very useful.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts