VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
It's a mk4 car right? The KII cable will work because at the top it says mk4 body. It's somewhat confusing because of the model year vs. generation vs. North American vs. rest of world.

I believe the reason why the 2005.5+ is listed in red under needing the HEX CAN cable is because the 2005.5 Jetta was CAN BUS and they grouped together the Golf with the rest of the mk5 cars. In addition, it also says (non US) models because the mk5 Golf was sold a few years before it came to North America.

If you have a North American mk4 body car, the KII will work. However, I don't speak for the company so please send Uwe at rosstech http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/members/uwe%40ross-tech/
or Dana at rosstech http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/members/[email protected]/

a private message or email to confirm which cable you need before buying.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I find the VCDS website a bit confusing in what product to buy, I probably would own this product already for my new 2010 Jetta TDI, but relized I did not know enough about my car to order.

I have done allot of reading, and think I need the Hex-Can cable? but I see it only has a serial computer connector? wouldn't a USB be faster? Still unclear!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I see now I need the HEX+USB+CAN cable for $80.00 dollars more.
I am sure I will buy this eventually. In these days, I would consider this a must have.
Sorry for answering my own question. But every day I spend on myturbodiesel.com and the TDIclub, I learn more, I do appreciate these websites! Thank you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes, FYI, this is the mk4 forum, your 2010 is a mk5, you need the HEX can. I wouldn't get a serial since my computer doesn't even have a serial port. I don't think most laptops come with serials anymore.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have owned this golf for two days. i have just burried a 1995 passat tdi (420,000 km 250,000 miles) i is canadian.

as for mk4 etc?

i would think then my 2002 jetta tdi is mk3, my 2006 golf mk4 correct?????

so, would the one scanner do both?

the golf service engine soon light came on and was staing on. i cycled the key three times and it has not come on since ( one day anyway)

is this a learn?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Both the 2002 and 2006 Golf are mk4. Your 95 passat was a mk3 even though it was a b4 because it shared parts with the mk3 cars.

In canada you also had the city jetta and city golf which were reskinned mk4 cars but I'm not sure if they used can bus or not.

In any case, the kII Cable will do both mk3 and mk4 cars. The mk5 and newer need the CAN BUS cable. The CAN BUS cable will also work on older cars but the KII cable won't work on the newer cars.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks,

any canadian sources for this scanner out there that are reputable?

did cycling the key reset the light? i know some GM's did this.

did an oil change. need a new skid plate. anyone ever see a plan to make your own?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts