VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sure a sad way to start posting, but I'm pretty sure timing belt went out on my 02 Jetta. Bought it a couple years ago to save gas $$. Should have learned more about it then instead of blindly assuming it just needed gas, tires and oil changes. NOW I start looking stuff up... thanks for everyone that posts, takes pictures of their work and helps blundering newbs like myself. With all the information available here, hopefully I can stumble thru and get my Jetta the care it needs to get it back on the road.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The first mistake was the gas....sorry, couldn't resist. Sorry to hear about the problem but if the TB went out, have the head rebuilt and it'll be as good as new. Just make sure to check the piston heights to make sure you didn't bend a rod. FYi, the owner's manual has a maintenance schedule for other critical stuff like the brake fluid changes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found the car on a non-VW dealers lot with 75k miles. I knew a little about the VW diesels and bought it for the mpg's. It didn't have factory owners manuals, only had 1 switchblade key, and various other knicks and flaws that you accept on a used car for a reasonable price.
I did look up a few things about it, what oil to use, why it doesn't have a dipstick for the auto tranny, what could be done for the center armrest falling down, etc.
But unfortunately for me I assumed the timing belt had been done at 60k and wasn't expecting to do it until next year when I got closer to 120k. So here starting after lesson 1 at the school of hard knocks, educating my self after the fact...

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Sorry about your timing belt man, that's not so good. I always fit a new timing belt whenever I get a new car because it seems to be impossible to know for sure wether it's been done so I just don't chance it. Hopefully you'll get back up and running soon though and it doesn't cost to much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, I thin we are in the same boat! I'm here for the same reason and looking at the great task of doing it myself! Wish me luck ;-)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I'm gonna end up tackling the job myself too. I'm a mechanic by trade (I know, why am I not better about preventive maintenance? It's expensive, that's why) so feel I can follow the detailed info here and get the job done. I'd guess we're both looking at DIY to save a few $$$.
On that note, I need to make another post to find someone that may be able to rent the special tools and help with the final inj pump cal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts