VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i am new here on the forum and going to say hello, I have an 06 jetta with 170000+ and a 03 jetta with 220000+. But right now the brm is having issues. It has lost lots of power, funny noise from the intake and black smoke. It has gotten considerably worse over the last few days. I think i am going to park till i ge tthe cam done. I am thinking of getting the bew cam kit cause i have read that the cam will work but seems to have less problems than the brm. I am nervous to try to do it myself but have no choice since i can barely afford a new cam kit. Hoiping this fixes all the issues i am having. Car also seems like the exhaust is plugged up a little.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Have a look through the faq at the cam inspection and replacement articles, I must admit though if you're on the original cam then you've managed a really good milage from what I've read.:)

welcometomyturbodies

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
This is possible. However, have you removed the valve cover to inspect it before spending any money on parts? I do rent the 2 special tools from VW for the camshaft upon request if you would like to use them, send a PM if interested.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i have inspected the cam and there is definate wear. The chamfers are completly gone on some. I didn't inspect any farther cause i know it needs to be replaced. Thanks chitty for the tool rental offer. I bought a set from id parts with the cam kit. I still have fears of other problems with the car though. There is some exhaust leaking from the v-band clamp on turbo out let and i do see some build up around the actuator around the turbo. Egr cooler looks good. I am just looking for any other problem so when i am done fixing the car it will be good for a while. Feels like maybe exhaust is plugging up or cat and i can't hear the turbo spool up anymore either. Although there is more noise lately so maybe jsut can't hear. But the car is really bogged down. Thanks for all the help. Greatly appreciated. Question on testing exhaust system or flow and how to check turbo. I have no vag com

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I have checked out the egr lines. I do have some built up on the actuators but did not feel any leaks when revving done by my wife. Her car. But the can needs to get done. Hope it is the cure all

1 - 6 of 6 Posts