VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I just wanted to offer a tip, as I have received so many from this site over the past year or so. My 2000 Golf was showing some signs of rust, particularly around the hatch handle, as well as on the handle itself. It was getting to the point that I needed to do something about it.

Only this past May did I learn that these cars actually carried a 12 year corrosion warranty with unlimited mileage, that is applicable to people who buy these cars second or third hand. So I went to a local VW dealer, who ran the VIN to reveal that the warranty is valid until 2011 10. I thought I was in luck. This same dealer then took pictures of the affected areas, and indicated that it would send them off to VW for authorization. However, not 15 minutes later, while I was still at this dealership (buying another TDI from them as a matter of fact) the service manager informed me that the rust on my car would not be covered, and that they would not even bother sending in the photos. I had him show me on my car how exactly he justified his decision and rationale that the rust (on the hatch) had been caused by stone chips, scratches and the like. I told him that stone chips on the hood and even on the doors was believable, but certainly not on the trunk lid. However, he stubbornly refused to do anything further and dismissed my claim.

Not discouraged, I went to another VW dealer in my area - one which I had heard others were very satisfied with. I took the car to them, where they also photographed the rust and then without hesitation proceeded to send the pictures in to VW. Two weeks later, I received a call that both the hatch and the handle would be covered under warranty, no questions asked. Today I received my car back from them, they did a wonderful job on replacing these parts, and I couldn't be happier.

I guess in short, the moral of my story is:
1. have the dealer check your VIN to determine if your car has remaining warranty (even if you are not the original owner and your car seems old)
2. try to get the rust fixed under warranty before it expires
3. if the first dealer says NO, don't be discouraged and try elsewhere.

For me, this was very worthwhile. I hope that others with aging TDIs are also still able to profit from this excellent 12 year corrosion warranty!

·
Registered
118 Posts
VW's rust warranty is either one of the best or one of the worst...it sounds like you got one of the best ;) Technically, I think the rust warranty covers perforation, or rust holes but I guess not!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts