VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
Recently experienced a runaway engine while driving, luckily I had the clutch depressed to shift to second gear for a turn.
Engine ran away for about 3-4 seconds then died.
Oil disappeared and was found in the intercooler, refurbished the turbo and cleaned the intercooler, new diesel filter, oil filter and 5w40 oil was used.
Dropped the sump and removed the engine top cover to inspected the engine for damage due to the high revving could not see any from below or above.
The car just don't want to start, primed the fuel pump with an electrical pump before the filter, after the filter and after the injection pump then loosened each nut on the injectors one by one and there was significant fuel squirting out upon starting from each injector.
Checked timing belt, tensioners and pulleys all seems in order.

Can a broken injection pump cause a runaway engine? the turbo was definitely shot as it squirted oil to the intercooler.
When i use quick start in the air intake via breather hole the engine starts but sounds awful runs 1-2 seconds and dies again.
Can this be fuel shortage or stuck injectors or damaged injection pump?

Any help please
HILLMI

·
Registered
58 Posts
Seems I've read it can, but it is unusual for an injection pump cause a runaway. Almost always turbo passing oil. And the turbo is not a simple rebuild.

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

You have made 2 posts with the same problem and text admin should delete the other post?

This is a new forum layout which is owned by a company last year that doesn't give a dam with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or original similes which they refuse to install. It doesn't show the car spec/location.

Add your car specs to your signature that will show on every post you make.

Car spec now shows not for all members.

Myturbodiesel moving on

Release Notes

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a poll which no one has posted in, there are a few votes and comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Wiki pages have been restored as of 7th December, I asked where is the link it should be on top of the main forum.

There should be a thread in FAQ TDI Wiki for runaway as shown in Chitty's post which isn't there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Pardon my question if this naive, but why is engine runaway even a thing? Couldn't vw have just employed the ASV as a kill switch by simply comparing the rpm rush/ load against that of the throttle input of the operator? Arent' all of the causes of runaway upstream of the ASV anyway?

It might take a stronger ASV valve to do the trick that could withstand pulsing from high rpm to slow the engine down so the motor wouldn't suck in the head gasket. But it seems very doable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts