VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Bettle and the injector pump was leaking fuel from the top and middle gaskets. I changed the top and middle gaskets and that stopped the fuel leaks. Now I have a rough idle. The car runs fine at speed. Any ideas on what is causing the rough idle? Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. Sorry for my ignorance. I don't know what index the gasket means or what a VAG COM cable is.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The middle section of the injection pump is called the quantity adjuster. It adjusts the fuel quantity. VAG COM is now called VCDS, it's a computer diagnostic cable. You use it to index the position of the quantity adjuster to the rest of the pump. It has adjustable bolt holes so if you don't put it back in exactly the old position, you can have running problems. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/multi/IQadjusthammermod.htm Here is a writeup on how to adjust the quantity adjuster. Since you don't know what VAG COM is, you didn't put the middle section, the quantity adjuster, back in the same position when you removed it to replace the gasket. Just slide the quantity adjuster back and forth until it reads around 3-5 and it should be okay. With the engine off of course.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello, I have a 2000 beetle TDI. I just changed my injector nozzles. I went up to a .205 from stock. Before changing I had the injectors serviced and was told nozzles washed out. My car had a very slight miss about 2 seconds after start up and then went away, and smoked a bit. I had also lost about 10 - 15 MPG. my car has 210,000 mi. I am second owner and it has always been well taken care of.

Since I put the new injectors in the car it has a terrible miss and idles very rough. It is also rough at deceleration. It is smoking like a freight train. on the open road it runs fine, and it seems to have increased a bit in the mpg. The day after changing the injectors I drove 450 mi out of town, so all hwy.

Could this be IQ setting? I do not have a VCDS, can I just do the hammer adj w/o the cable?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
You can do the hammer adjustment but you won't have any idea of how far to move it and where you stand. If you go too far one way or the other it won't run right. If you got really cheap nozzles they would be suspect. .205 shouldn't make you smoke like a freight train. You could have a boost or exhaust leak.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
seems like cheap nozzles to me
my two cents

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Yeh but if the car was loosing about 10-15 mpg's before the new nozzles then it would be more likely to be something else i.e: a boost or exhaust leak like chitty said or maybe the turbo isn't right, sticky vanes etc. The way I've heard it with cheapo nozzles is that they wont last long. Hey there El Pozero did you get the nozzles balanced and pop tested? They really need to be set up properly to get the most out of them or the difference between them could be quite large and you'll never really get it running right.:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
In the last year I have had the whole induction system off the car, cleaned and the turbo serviced. I am fairly certian there are no problems in that area. I did buy non-name brand nozzles, and I did take them to a shop and had them calibrated and pop tested. The guy said he did not like that they were not name brand, but that he was able to shim them and all were atomizing properly when I picked them up.

My symptoms are exactly what Inhave read in the articles about IQ setting. I am on my way now to a shop here in Hendersonville to see if they can help, but the guy said he does not have a VCDS either.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Chitty, Is there another link to the video that shows the hammer adjustment? Ever time I try to wathch the one attached to the "how to" page it just shows error.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts