VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha folks!
I just did the cursed camshaft replacement on the wife’s BEW TDI Jetta. Since this was the deepest I’ve ever gone inside an automobile, I took my time and researched and watched then rewatched a few videos of the procedure. I had done the timing belt before I learned what was making whump-whump-whump sound. Here’s some photos.
Let’s start with the UGLY:
Bicycle part Tool Household hardware Cylinder Nickel

third to the last lobe.. yikes resulted in:
Font Wood Art Rectangle Metal

Busted up lifters. The last one not in the photo, had cracks in it. My research told me as long as the new ones can still spin the valve stems? underneath were probably fine. I went with that because replacing those parts seem to be waaay above my pay grade.

The BAD:
Eyelash Screw Gas Monochrome photography Cable

There’s a piece of the new tandem pump gasket sticking out (right beside the zip tie clamp) that I noticed after everything was put back together. D’OH!! is that ok? I looked at photos of new gaskets and there’s that little rectangular shaped tab..where can that go? if I gotta redo the gasket can I use the old one?

the GOOD:
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Automotive tail & brake light Tire Wheel

She’s back in business! I just replaced the break in oil and will change again in 500 miles. I still have to check the torsion value but at least the car is back on the road and the wife is stoked. I finally got to put the BIODIESEL letters that we’ve had since before the car went on hibernation mode a year and a half ago.
BONUS:
Plant Grass Grass family Tool Shrub

Here’s my cam gear counter hold tool using the old timing belt. I was able to do it by myself loosening the cam bolt but had a friend holdem when I was torquing it down.
QUESTIONS:
I know that it’s a diesel but the car sounded a little loud. Do I need to check anything else? I have the VCDS but not really sure what to look for apart from making sure the torsion value is within spec. I thought I saw a post re: adjusting something with the injectors? I’m excited to take her on a more spirited drive and see what this fancy stage 2 cam is like with the tune the PO said he had installed.
Any info and comments will be appreciated. Mahalo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE:

when I checked the torsion value and it read -2.0. I tried to advance the timing using the instructions found on this site but couldn’t do it. I loosened the cam pulley bolts and I thought I moved it only slightly (using some marks) but after a few tries it still read the same. Consequently the injection start value went from 2.2 btdc to 4.0 btdc so I hope I didn’t mess anything up. Later I saw that for the torsion value anything from 3.0 to -3.0 is within spec so I guess I’m good. I’ll keep an eye on it for now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Aloha folks!
I just did the cursed camshaft replacement on the wife’s BEW TDI Jetta. Since this was the deepest I’ve ever gone inside an automobile, I took my time and researched and watched then rewatched a few videos of the procedure. I had done the timing belt before I learned what was making whump-whump-whump sound. Here’s some photos.
View attachment 9700
View attachment 9701
Busted up lifters. The last one not in the photo, had cracks in it. My research told me as long as the new ones can still spin the valve stems? underneath were probably fine. I went with that because replacing those parts seem to be waaay above my pay grade.

The BAD:
View attachment 9702
There’s a piece of the new tandem pump gasket sticking out (right beside the zip tie clamp) that I noticed after everything was put back together. D’OH!! is that ok? I looked at photos of new gaskets and there’s that little rectangular shaped tab..where can that go? if I gotta redo the gasket can I use the old one?

the GOOD:
View attachment 9703
She’s back in business! I just replaced the break in oil and will change again in 500 miles. I still have to check the torsion value but at least the car is back on the road and the wife is stoked. I finally got to put the BIODIESEL letters that we’ve had since before the car went on hibernation mode a year and a half ago.
BONUS:
View attachment 9704
Here’s my cam gear counter hold tool using the old timing belt. I was able to do it by myself loosening the cam bolt but had a friend holdem when I was torquing it down.
QUESTIONS:
I know that it’s a diesel but the car sounded a little loud. Do I need to check anything else? I have the VCDS but not really sure what to look for apart from making sure the torsion value is within spec. I thought I saw a post re: adjusting something with the injectors? I’m excited to take her on a more spirited drive and see what this fancy stage 2 cam is like with the tune the PO said he had installed.
Aloha folks!
View attachment 9700
View attachment 9701

The BAD:
View attachment 9702

the GOOD:
View attachment 9703
BONUS:
View attachment 9704
QUESTIONS:
Re: Injector Timing. It can be checked/changed with VCDS. I've seen a detailed video, I'm not sure where. I would start at Ross-Tech.. .

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
The cam sprocket comes in two pieces. The inner piece is bolted directly to the camshaft with the center bolt. The outer, half fits loosely over the inner half and is held in place by the three bolts. By loosening the three bolts, you are able to rotate the outer piece clockwise and counter clockwise with the special counter hold tool (used after the timing belt is installed) that fits in any of the larger holes on the toothed outer half.
That toothed window is where to mechanically adjust the torsion value. The hole you see in that toothed the window is the cams position in relation to the outer belt hub. The middle of that machined hole, centered in the toothed window should be mechanical zero. Meaning, all the hard, non adjustable parts are located correctly to manufactures specification.
When your torsion value is too high or too low you can loose fuel economy and/or performance. However, the sensor for torsion readings has a very narrow resolution. In this instance, it means you can make, what I feel is huge, adjustment and VCDS displays no change to the torsion value. This low resolution makes it tricky to get the best torsion setting, like for better fuel economy. I have set the torsion value exactly the same after timing belt service and had a negative effect in fuel economy. Took me a couple of days to get the best value again… 47mpg, from 38mpg. Very little adjustments may not show in VCDS, but may still impact efficiency / performance.
Automotive tire Gas Font Automotive wheel system Rim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts