VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
What do you need to carry? Whatever fits what you need is the best size and shape.
What are you concerned about? Too long, too short, too narrow, will this fit mine?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Carrier

Chucky,
The sales literature for my Audi A3 TDI shows what they call their 'Compact Roof Box', which is apparently a reasonably aerodynamically shaped cargo carrier,which is listed as 16.95 cubic feet of capacity, 81" long x 30" wide. The A3 has the same wheelbase, is 5" longer than the Golf, and weighs a couple hundred pounds more than a Golf. I would guess it would work, but I would suspect it would not be inexpensive. If you find out let us know.
Bill my two cents

·
Registered
72 Posts
Chucky
The roof box sold by VW accessories is made by Thule. I would suggest that you buy the cross bars (Do this so that you get the correct ones) from the dealer, then search out a Thule roof box on the "secondary" or used market "Fleabay" dot com screams to mind.
One of my coworkers did this last summer and got the roof box that sold at the dealer for $500.00 lightly used for $125.00.

Just a thought.
cheers
dave parker

·
Super Moderator
9,565 Posts
Welcome to the forum Chucky. welcometomyturbodies

Your spec says 2010 jetta tdi but your asking about a 2010 Golf do you have one of those as well?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forum Chucky. welcometomyturbodies

Your spec says 2010 jetta tdi but your asking about a 2010 Golf do you have one of those as well?
I have the tdi and my wife has the jetta!

We've bought in fully...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been trawling all of the usual spots...looks like the Yakima Rocketbox 15 is the winner. If not that a Thule Sidekick.
Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
i have a thule ascent 1500. pretty much the came internal capacity of the rocketbox, but the rear of the box is not as tapered, and i think it makes it easier to load awkwardly sized items.

here is a pick on my previous GTI...i could have gone with a bigger box if i had wanted to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have a thule ascent 1500. pretty much the came internal capacity of the rocketbox, but the rear of the box is not as tapered, and i think it makes it easier to load awkwardly sized items.

here is a pick on my previous GTI...i could have gone with a bigger box if i had wanted to.

Man that looks good!
Thanks for the photo.
I was worried that the boxes would all be too long.
How does it affect the ride?
Do you think a faring is necessary or just cosmetic?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks.

When it's empty it rattles around a bit, when it's full I can't even tell it's there, unless it is a very windy day.

The fairing is important, especially when the box is not mounted. Without the fairing, the bare crossbars make a fair amount of wind noise. You would not notice with the radio on, but the noise is definitely present.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts