VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The RNS 510 system on my 2013 Passat has started to reboot every 5-10 minutes. Friday, it quit and rebooted seven times in a period of about 35 minutes. It functions, freezes up and after a few minutes the system reboots. Has anybody else had this problem and how was it fixed? Going into the shop Tuesday. Lastly, does the GPS have a route speed limit icon posted on the map? Mine does not and guess I am just spoiled by my Garmin & Rand McNally GPS systems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That stinks - I have had mine lock up a few times already with <500 miles on the clock. It does have a speed limit sign; hopefully it is just a reflash of the software or something simple...Good luck!

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
Well if its under warranty take it back to the dealer to see if there is a fix or an software updates.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lastly, does the GPS have a route speed limit icon posted on the map? Mine does not and guess I am just spoiled by my Garmin & Rand McNally GPS systems.
The speed limit sign is an option that you have to check in the map settings. Mine started doing the re-boot thing today - did it three times in 20 minutes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RNS510 system constantly reboots (UPDATE)

Took the Passat to the VW dealer this morning and was told that VW is working on this problem and thinks it is a software/firmware problem. He further stated that they had been changing out the RNS systems, but then owners were bringing the new system back with the same problem. Now, they are documenting the problem, writing work orders, notifying their higher, and will notify me when the fix is available. Told me how to reboot the system, press the < > and * (star) buttons at the top of the 510 system to do a hard reboot. He apologized for not having a better solution and I stated VW America should switch to Garmin systems which were also much cheaper to update on an annual basis.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts