VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if I have missed this, it wasn't apparently obvious in looking thru the MK6 TDi section.

Can you help me understand the reasons many want to upgrade to the 315 vs. the 510. I guess the model # has nothing to do with generation since the 315 is lower.

Thanks, we are considering a 2011 JSW and want to know as much as I can before I have a chance to get taken by the dealer.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Take a look through the RNS510 FAQ and RNS 315 FAQ in 1000q, the FAQ sections. There are features listed and videos.

The 315 has a faster and newer interface. It's the same basic interface as the Audi A3's system but with a smaller, low res screen - a knob scrolls through the menu. The 510 has a larger higher res screen (won't make a difference in navigation) and it's all touchscreen interface. I don't like that you have to scroll through the long menus with your finger because you have to pay attention to where you're touching.

Functionally, the 510 has an HD to store music/maps. The 315 uses onboard flash memory for map and you suppply SD cards for music. The 510 also lets you pan the map with your finger and play video DVD when stopped. 315 does not.

IMHO, if you have the option to buy the 315, do so because the market price is about the same or higher than the option price. If you don't like it, put it on ebay or sell it here, I've seen requests on where to buy but a brand new one from the dealer as parts (about $1500 just for GPS) doesn't come with maps. Yours will have north american map loaded. Just make sure to get the radio unlock code from dealer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts