VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has all the basic specs and info about the system. This is just what I've gathered across multiple forums and posts.

You can view here:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a5/rns510_FAQ.htm

To answer the most common questions, yes you can add it to your 2009 TDI, you can add it to older mk5 TDI as long as you have a compatible highline controller.

So far, reviews of the actual system are good but complaints: no bluetooth, street names are shown on the main display, and NO MAPS! Yes, the nav units are in cars but most don't have maps! The issue is that distribution of the maps is tightly controlled and only a trickle have come out.

There are plenty of external linked pages which have pics of the various screens, and a nav specific forum. I've summarized the info out there onto the FAQ page.

Do not ask for maps here, do not borrow, trade, copy, buy, etc., maps from VW or Navteq since it is illegal and copyighted material. If you want maps you must get a legal copy from the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's hard to find period, so I don't think you'll find it wholesale. The issue with self installation is that it's very hard to get map data since only dealers can get it from the company that makes the maps. And even then the dealers have a hard time getting it. Major FUBAR on VW and the map company's part.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Does it have text to speech? And can you add custom points of interest? My Nuvi 350 has both which is easier for navigation. Plus, I have red light cams as points of interest, so I've always got warning about upcoming traps.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To the best of my knowledge, you can't add custom POI through the GPS. You can hack the map yourself by computer and add the custom POI through there.

People have been hacking bmw maps, they are by the same company and earlier versions could be used if you don't have a VW map for the US, see links below. I repeat, this is for personal use only and don't go against the copyright from the GPS, GPS software, or maps.

http://www.bmwnavaddpoi.co.uk/default.htm

http://www.x5world.com/navigation-system/

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Does it have text to speech? And can you add custom points of interest? My Nuvi 350 has both which is easier for navigation. Plus, I have red light cams as points of interest, so I've always got warning about upcoming traps.
No text to speech and no POI. I heard that Europeans discourage setting speed cameras as POI so they don't have this function.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Check the price of the retail vs the guy who has it. Maybe the seller doesn't even have them in stock or is charging a markup.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Wow, delivery of these is all FUBAR. I've only read a few reports of the GPS delivered and many don't even have the maps to use the GPS? Someone messed up big time. I bet that if you bought an Audi, the dealer would throw in at least a car wash?:eek:

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't have any recommendations. Units are always changed every year and tweaked. Look for something that is double DIN, has a radio, and has the ability to play movies. Best thing I can say is to read the product reviews?

Also, added some more info to the FAQ: the GPS does not speak street names but I think it can say some highway exits or town names. The screen does not show all street names but some town names, major roads.

D

·
0 Posts
The GPS is starting to show up on TDIs. And people are reporting that maps are mostly in stock. You criticize it but an in dash touchscreen GPS is not found on many cars at this price point. You are looking at $25k-28k minimum, and the cheaper Jettas can have it equipped for $23k.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, added.

I criticize it because the systems in Nissan/Acura blows this thing away. It's a good system for 3 years ago. Then again, all my cars are over 10 years old so anything is pretty good to me, lol.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
2nd both of your points - it's years behind but it's in a car with a relatively low price point. Don't expect an Audi GPS on a VW!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts