VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2011 Jetta Highline for about 3 weeks. I've spend the past 3 weeks trying to find information online, or with VW Canada Customer service for support with the 315 system.

Is there anyone that knows where I can get support or updated firmware downloads etc...?

I know that NavTeq supports the maps for the NAV, but no-one; even the dealership knows where to find any other support.

I have two nagging problems, so far:

1. I have a blackberry Pearl 9100 and cannot:
a) find a way to list my phonebook in First Name, Last Name order. It's only in Last Name, First Name. I can see how a brand new product may have a kink at first release, I can't imagine they haven't found a fix for that yet.
b) can't get it to show up on the media tab as an available bluetooth broadcasting device. It's connecting correctly at startup, and I get the prompt on my phone to say all is well, but the Media screen will not show it as an available bluetooth link.

2. It takes 10+ tries to have my SD card recognized by the system. Sometimes if I even turn off the vehicle for a minute or so, when I turn it on again, it says "error reading card".

Anyone have any advice for either of these? I can't be the only one with these issues right? lol

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I've tried to find out from NAVTEQ where to buy updated SD card maps but I haven't seen them for sale and not at dealers yet. They'll probably be available next year, the RNS 315 is just too new. I've been keeping my eye on rns 315 firmware updates and haven't seen any. There are plenty of firmware updates for the 510 but they are not compatible.

I don't have the blackberry so can't comment on that.

2. I have not heard of SD card problems. What capacity/format are you using? I know that SDHC are tricker but the firmware for the newer head units like the 315 should recognize them with no problem. It's the older 510s which had SDHC limitations.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've had my 2011 Jetta Highline for about 3 weeks. I've spend the past 3 weeks trying to find information online, or with VW Canada Customer service for support with the 315 system.

Is there anyone that knows where I can get support or updated firmware downloads etc...?

I know that NavTeq supports the maps for the NAV, but no-one; even the dealership knows where to find any other support.

I have two nagging problems, so far:

1. I have a blackberry Pearl 9100 and cannot:
a) find a way to list my phonebook in First Name, Last Name order. It's only in Last Name, First Name. I can see how a brand new product may have a kink at first release, I can't imagine they haven't found a fix for that yet.
b) can't get it to show up on the media tab as an available bluetooth broadcasting device. It's connecting correctly at startup, and I get the prompt on my phone to say all is well, but the Media screen will not show it as an available bluetooth link.

2. It takes 10+ tries to have my SD card recognized by the system. Sometimes if I even turn off the vehicle for a minute or so, when I turn it on again, it says "error reading card".

Anyone have any advice for either of these? I can't be the only one with these issues right? lol
The RNS-315 does not have an internal Bluetooth module. With this unit, the separate (9w7) Bluetooth module is mounted on the floor, just under the leading edge of the front passenger seat. Sorry, I can't help with Bluetooth issues/updates. However, for RNS-315/MDI updates, go to this page:

http://87.230.74.92/ci_softwareupdates00.html

Near the bottom of the page, under the heading "MEDIA-IN", click on "Update CW 22/2011 download" to download the latest MDI firmware update. It should help with your SD issues, and will help with iPod-related issues. Under that same heading, read the "PDF document" and "Download guide". They'll tell you pretty much everything you need to know...

As to your number 2 point, if you're still having SD grief after updating your MDI firmware, you may want to take a careful look at the page(s) in your owner's manual that covers SD file structure requirements. They're kind of finicky...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Maps for an RNS-315 available...

I've tried to find out from NAVTEQ where to buy updated SD card maps but I haven't seen them for sale and not at dealers yet. They'll probably be available next year, the RNS 315 is just too new.
It looks like there is an update to the maps for the RNS-315, but they cost $199. Go to Navteq's site for VW, click on your model, and then the year to order them.

You can order an SD card for a 2011 Jetta, so connecting the dots, that would be for the RNS-315. I haven't ordered one (yet) but since the 315 is the only 'official' nav unit for a 2011 Jetta, I think it's a safe conclusion. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Mo Focus.

Question though, once you made that change and updated your phonebook while paired with the 2010 Golf, do you have issues when the phonebook updates while connected to your 2011? Do any updates to the phonebook revert back at all?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am having the exact same SD Card read error. Mine works about 1 out of 4 times, and seems pretty random. It also does the same thing when I play the same MP3s burned on a CD.

I read the PDF on the update, but it wants you to use a USB-adapter (000 051 446 B), with the update on a USB Mem stick. I don't want to have to buy one of those adapters. Is there an alternative way to do this?

I tried formatting my SD card, and saving just the update file on it, but now it won't read the card at all....

I don't understand why it would work sometimes, and not others.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found a cure... for me anyway

As far as the SD card Problem goes, I found that if makes all the difference if you "saftley remove hardware" before ejecting from the computer.(windows, dont know if there is an equilalent for mac) it must rebuild the file index or something, i dont know, but the car sure likes it better when you do!

I only get the error now if 1) its tooo coooold, like my body dosent even work cold. or too humid. IE after a rain and its sunny in the morning.
Once the car warms up/ dries up a little everything works fine.

Hope this helps!

I am waitiing for an update as well, I would love to have map panning with my finger, also want the "screen saver" when playing music to go to the clock, like when you turn the unit off, I think it looks incredibly sharp.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts