VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help please! My 2011 JSW TDI came with an RCD 510 and I decided to switch it out to the RNS 315. This site said it was something that is esy to do!? I just bought an RNS 315 Nav Radio from an official VW Parts department at a VW dealer online and it came without any navigation disk or software or even a user manual. My dealer service department says I need this disk before they can install the RNS315.

The VW parts dealer I bought the RNS 315 from is saying that the unit ships without disk and manual since it is a dealer installed option and is the way it comes from VW and he has no idea where I could get a navteq disk or software for an RNS315. I have called VW customer service, navteq, and 5 other vw parts departments and no one has any idea where I can get the disk for the RNS 315.

My question is does anyone know where I can get this disk OR is it even required for the RNS 315??? Perhaps it is alredy part of the memory?? Can anyone who got their 2011 JSW TDI WITH navigation tell me if such a disk even came with their original user packet of info?
Thanks very much!

I hope this is clear. I thought it would be so simple to switch this out but it has become something of a nightmare.

Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Really sorry for your grief. Shouldn't the dealer have warned you about this before he ordered the unit? My '11 Golf TDI has the RNS-315. When I took delivery about three weeks ago, I was given a user's manual for the RNS-315, but I received no nav disk. The nav software/database was already loaded and I can't even say whether it was the dealer, the port of entry, the factory, or the unit's manufacturer (Blaupunkt?) that loaded it. The unit reports that it is "V01 NA", and I'm wondering just how current the map/POI info really is...

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
It needs to be loaded via SD card. I don't know if it comes with new cars but I can tell you that after you load the SD card map to a headunit, it writes something to the SD card to lock it to that head unit for software licensing reasons. So don't bother buying a used SD card w/map on it.

I can tell you that when new cars are delivered it already has a map on it. I will start a new post in the members only section with the link to the RNS 315 user manual. Edit: See here: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f15/rns-315-rns-510-audi-rns-3-nav-system-user-manual-pdf-4840/ for the manual.

Edit: I will add this to the 315 FAQ. I would look out on ebay for a used 315 that already has maps on it. I saw one sell for around $650 but when I emailed the buyer it came with no radio code or maps (not in the item description) so it's essentially useless.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As always, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang has it right. I FINALLY got someone in VW Customer service who confirmed that the RNS 315 came pre-loaded with the North America mapsand no disk or SD card exists at this time. I don't believe there is a parts manager or service manager in the entire US that knows this. Sure would be nice if VW communicated this info to them....thanks again to all.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It needs to be loaded via SD card. I don't know if it comes with new cars but I can tell you that after you load the SD card map to a headunit, it writes something to the SD card to lock it to that head unit for software licensing reasons. So don't bother buying a used SD card w/map on it.

I can tell you that when new cars are delivered it already has a map on it. I will start a new post in the members only section with the link to the RNS 315 user manual. Edit: See here: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f15/rns-315-rns-510-audi-rns-3-nav-system-user-manual-pdf-4840/ for the manual.

Edit: I will add this to the 315 FAQ. I would look out on ebay for a used 315 that already has maps on it. I saw one sell for around $650 but when I emailed the buyer it came with no radio code or maps (not in the item description) so it's essentially useless.

Chitty -- So can you please explain where the code comes from? And why wouldn't the one you saw for sale already have the maps embedded as the one I purchase does (I hope).
Also, if I plan to resell my RCD 510 once I switch out the RNS 315. Where do I get the code for that RCD 510 and do I need one to resell it? Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I don't know why the one I saw for sale had no maps. It was on ebay and I asked the seller.

The code has to come from the dealer. They used to write it down on a card as part of the delivery checklist (often wasn't done) but it's now only given out by request. They do not have to remove the radio because you can get the serial number through VCDS. More details in this FAQ: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/vw-jetta-radio-removal.htm I don't have the reference but I've heard many times that they cannot charge for this, they have to give you the code for free.

You don't need a code if the radio goes into the same car, like if you remove it or disconnect the battery. You do need a code if the radio goes into a new car, ie, selling it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
They must have SD card maps somewhere, otherwise where do the maps loaded on new cars come from since you bought one without maps on it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Chitty -- So can you please explain where the code comes from? And why wouldn't the one you saw for sale already have the maps embedded as the one I purchase does (I hope).
Also, if I plan to resell my RCD 510 once I switch out the RNS 315. Where do I get the code for that RCD 510 and do I need one to resell it? Thanks again
you can ask for a radio code at the dealer, with the serial number, they can get it

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know why the one I saw for sale had no maps. It was on ebay and I asked the seller.

The code has to come from the dealer. They used to write it down on a card as part of the delivery checklist (often wasn't done) but it's now only given out by request. They do not have to remove the radio because you can get the serial number through VCDS. More details in this FAQ: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/vw-jetta-radio-removal.htm I don't have the reference but I've heard many times that they cannot charge for this, they have to give you the code for free.

You don't need a code if the radio goes into the same car, like if you remove it or disconnect the battery. You do need a code if the radio goes into a new car, ie, selling it.
Thank you all again. Here's another question to make this exercise even more difficult: Does anyone know who is responsible for honoring the parts and labor on the warrantee on the RNS 315 if you buy the parts from one VW Dealer and have it installed at another dealer? I'm afraid both will blame each other. Thanks again.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The installing dealer will only honor the installation. However, it's an OEM part so you can't return it at another dealer?

·
Super Moderator
9,408 Posts
Yes the radio code is only available from the dealer. They don't supply it on a card/sticker like they used to because they say people would just leave it in the car so any thief could read it.

I asked for the radio code when I picked mine up. They said its on the service computer and we don't give that out as you should never need it. I said its my car and my radio I want it just in case I have to change the battery at some time. They said you don't need it to change a battery as soon as you connect te new battery the ecu checks the radio to see if its the same one. You only need the code if you fit that radio into another VW. They gave me the code. ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The installing dealer will only honor the installation. However, it's an OEM part so you can't return it at another dealer?
FYI, I got the 'official' answer from VW Customer Service (US). They said keep your parts invoice and keep your dealer installation invoice and if there is a problem with the OEM part during the 1-year warranty period, VW headquarters (not the VW parts distributor) will honor the warranty on the part as long as the installing dealer was authorized VW Service. If there is a problem with the installation (and I have no idea how you determine that) then is up to you to resolve it with the VW Service dealer. VW Corporate Service says they will own the responsibility in cases where it cannot be resolved with the Service dealer if they are claiming the part was bad. Clear as mud?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts