VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
It doesn't look as bad as it first seemed. But it doesn't seem right to go from the stock large screen to the small screen for the nav. Couldn't they have spent the money on a large screen for the nav and reduced the price of the large touchscreen radio? I don't care about playing DVDs or DVD in motion and unless it's for a rear seat entertainment console, I don't think many people are watching movies from the front seats.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Maybe I'm just used to my RCD-510 but I do not like the new RNS-315. Don't like the smaller screen, don't like the UI, don't like that you only get 12 satellite radio presets and I don't like the lack of 6 CD changer (yes some of us do still listen to CDs in the car!).

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
It doesn't look as bad as it first seemed. But it doesn't seem right to go from the stock large screen to the small screen for the nav. Couldn't they have spent the money on a large screen for the nav and reduced the price of the large touchscreen radio? I don't care about playing DVDs or DVD in motion and unless it's for a rear seat entertainment console, I don't think many people are watching movies from the front seats.
Maybe I'm just used to my RCD-510 but I do not like the new RNS-315. Don't like the smaller screen, don't like the UI, don't like that you only get 12 satellite radio presets and I don't like the lack of 6 CD changer (yes some of us do still listen to CDs in the car!).
Agree on all points. VW is trying to bring the cost down and as mentioned in the FAQ, if you buy the nav package to get the other goodies, an RNS 510 should be 99% plug-play. You might have to change the coding but from what I can find, the wiring is the same (I think). You can then sell the RNS 315 to someone else. The same thing goes for the RCD510 radio. The base VW (non TDI) get the RCD 310 and they would happily buy the RCD 510 radio.

·
Registered
20 Posts
True, but here is another example of a stupid design decision.
Here is a picture from the vortex of the instrument cluster. Couldn't they have made the box a fit-to-size rectangle instead of a tall triangle with all that empty space where the full screen display should be? It's possible that they put the warning lights there but you can't see any and either way it still looks bad. It's a prominent reminder of the missing full screen display. Just make the RNS 315 screen the same size as the rest but give it a lower resolution display and remove some features to make it cheaper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts