VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to get an 04 Jetta wagon TDI soon, but this will not be my first diesel VW. Back in 1983, I bought a Rabbit Pickup diesel when I was in CO. I installed a larger fuel tank (ca. 25 gal) from Brown VW in San Diego then while enroute to ship the truck to Germany, I picked up a Turbo kit in L.A. and installed it at my parent's house in Sacramento. In 86/87 I shipped it back to Sacramento to my father as his Mazda Truck had died. After he passed away in 1994, my Mom gave it back to me. I finally had to donate it to the American Cancer Society in 1998 as I could not keep it running.

In 2004 when our 1989 Jetta Carat started $5 & $10 us to death, I wanted to get a Jetta TDI Wagon. Unfortunately, the CPR had just banned the sale of diesels so we bought a Prius instead. This year my mother gave up her driver's license and gifted her car to my nephew. The problem is that MY car is a 1990 Mazda Miata, so I need a car to use when I go down to help my Mom out. I decided to try and get something I LIKED rather than just anything. I did toy with the idea of tracking down the current owner of my old pickup, buying it and then putting a TDI into it, but decided not to do so.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
A miata is a pretty nice car to have as well. I had an early miata with bad cowl shake. I sold it after driving another miata that was really tight.

welcometomyturbodies

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds like the "65 mph shimmy" that is generic to all Miatae since 1989. A good alignment and balance will reduce it, but it never goes away entirely. The use of a Hunter 9700 is recommended.

I bought my Miata in July of 89 so I've completed 22 years of ownership this month.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
No, this was cowl shake like if you ran over a pothole the cowl shook twice. I think it had a bad suspension or was in a small fender bender and not fixed correctly. I only had it for a bit to try it out and sold it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts