VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, and thank you for a great forum!! First post here :D

I have tried to search all over the net to find out what is needed to retrofit a steering wheel with buttons on a MK6 Golf that originally comes without buttons, but all I can find is how to retrofit a MK6 wheel on a MK5.

My car is a 2010 MK6 Golf TDI 1.6 (105hp) Highline with manual transmition. It has the MFI that looks like this:

the interior is identical to this:

Does anyone know if I need to replace the steering wheel control module or need any harness adaptor or something like that, or is it more or less just plug & pray?

Best regards
Lorents

·
Super Moderator
9,560 Posts
Why the Canadian-highline when he's from Norway Chitty?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome guys!

Lots of new tech-stuff to be learned about this car, but it sure is interesting! Will post results when I get there.

Thanks for the help :)

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
You have a mk6, that list only covers mk5.

If you don't currently have the buttons, you will most likely need a new steering wheel controller. If you find out the correct Euro part number for your mk6, please post and share. This would be a dealer part.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited by Moderator)
I ordered a 1K0 953 549 CK version from eBay.de - hopefully it will be a direct refit for the CQ version that I have.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390320259351&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:1123

I figured that since the part number that I have in my car (read by VCDS) is listed on the Ross Tech page it may be valid for MK6's as well.

Will post when I get to try it out :)

Chitty, do you know what is needed to install cruise control while I am at it? Is it just the stalk if the steering control module supports CC?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Do Golfs not come standard with cruise control? I thought it was a pretty standard feature, like power windows or airconditioning.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
If it's a highline controller it should work. I'm not sure how to retrofit the cruise control since as you said, pretty much any car in the US has it.

To the best of my knowledge, you just need the new stalk, steering module, and the correct coding. There shouldn't be any wiring required since your car is newer. Here are some more details: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Cruise_Control_Retrofitting_(1K)

FYI, if you do this, can you please take pictures of each step and notes? It will qualify for the writeup contest and it'll also help others.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again!

I have ordered the stalk from ebay.de - part # 1K0054690B

When I get all the parts I'll install them and do a writeup here :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
lorents and chittychittybangbang,

I too am interested in installing a MFSW in my 2011 Golf and would appreciate any helf or direction you could provide.

Reading through a variety of threads on this topic, it is unclear to me if my clockspring (or steering wheel control module) is compatible with a MK6 MFSW. Some claim that since my car already has the MFI controls on the wiper stalk, the clockspring is already compatible with the MFSW buttons. I located the left and right control pods on eBay, but before buying I removed the airbag and found that the airbag harness does not have the connectors for the MFSW buttons - I saw pictures of MFSW insides and noticed the connection ports at the rear-bottom of the wheel. My wheel does not have that, nor does the harness seem to have unused pig tails. I would prefer to just get the MFSW control pods and not have to replace the whole steering wheel and airbag. Would you know what part numbers I need for this? Presumably, a different airbag harness + the connection ports for the MFSW control pods, but am not quite sure.

I do not yet have VCDS, so I am kind of doing this blindly...

As a separate option, I could get a whole Golf MK6 MFSW but without the airbag and install it. However, I'm not sure if my airbag would fit and I would rather not buy a new airbag if I could help it. Do you know if there is any physical difference between the MFSW vs non-MFSW airbags? If not, do you know what part numbers I may need for this conversion?

I am a newbie to the VW community (though excited to be part of it), and I appreciate any help you could provide.

Thank you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts