VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

Retrofitting electric widows to the Mk4 golf

12K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Mgusty 
#1 ·
Well that's what I'll be doing as soon as we get a decent spell of nice weather. It's abit on the cold and wet side just now and I'll need a good bit of the day for this.
I've been asking around and gathering info for a while now, I bought all four electric window regulators, switches and door cards and I also took most of the wiring loom from a donor car.
I'll be swapping out the power wires as the electric windows need more juice than just the locks.
I'll be taking pics too for anyone who wants to see what's what.

It turns out it's actually really easy, the Mk4 uses this can bus system set up like a network in a star configuration. Each window reg has it's own brain that sends and interperets signals. Basically you have these little wires twisted together that come from each door and join up behind the dash with + and - on each one. You take a + and - bus wire from them to the ccm (comfort control module) and also to pins 8 & 9 on the cluster as long as the cluster has the numbers 920 in the middle three numbers of the part number. If you don't have that you need a program called vds pro to reprogram the ccm but I don't really know much about that as I don't need to for mine. My cluster has the right numbers so that's cool. Also the window regs part numbers have to match the ccm to make things really easy i.e. if they start with 1C0 then the ccm has to start with 1C0, it really saves a lot of hassle.

Anyway what happens is you press say the left rear window button on the drivers door, the signal goes down the bus wires to the ccm that interperets it and sends the signal out to the left rear door, the window reg takes this signal and knows exactly what it means so does the requested action, either open or close the window.

The same thing happens with the door locks too if you have the can bus system in the car. Signal goes down the wires and gets sent to all the doors to lock or unlock the doors.

I hope that all makes sense so far as it's down hill from here lol, only kidding :D

It all makes sense in my head anyway and that's important seeing as it's what I'll be doing to my car. I'll update this thread as and when I get the chance.

Cheers

See less See more
#2 ·
Windows are in and all working, just got some gremlins to iron out as well as connect a few more wires. I need to hook up the wiring for the tail gate to the ccm, my car being an estate/wagon has a relay for the switch/handle and I need to add that to the ccm now as it does all that stuff. The mirrors need to be tweaked with vdc pro but hopefully I'll find someone local to me to do that. Interior lights work but aren't coming on with the doors yet either. Small things but I'm getting there.

#3 ·
HI! So glad to see your post. My 2000 Jetta TDI was totaled in a crash 5 Oct. The payout is not enough for me to get another GLS TDI with all power. I am looking at a 2000 GL that has power locks but not windows. Thinking of buying back my 2000 so I can do the power window swap. Do you still remember what you had to swap to make it work and do you still have pictures? Any info you could give me would be amazing! Thanks!

#4 ·
I've emailed you but I'll also stick some of the info in here for others that might come across it.

The swap was actually fairly easy, a lot easier than I thought it would be. You need all the inner door panels and the outer panels from a donor car as well as the ccm and plugs. I went for the newer type with the 1C0 ccm and relevant motors. Each door has the outer panel (I'll just call it that for ease but it's actually the panel inside the car) the one with the handles and buttons etc, and also an inner panel which all the window components are bolted to, take it all including each doors wiring loom. The front one plug in behind the kick panels and the rears plug in behind the trim where the seat belts are. There's no screws for those rear ones, you have to get your fingers in and pull the trim out of the seal so to speak then the trim just pops off. Try it on the donor car first lol. I took all them, I also took the wiring loom but it turned out I only needed four wires. Each door needs two positives, they're heavier duty than the standard stuff you get with central locking, and also two bus wires, a high bus and a low bus. All the bus wires come together behind the dash and you just join the highs together and the lows, take a high and low from that and that goes to the ccm. That's the basics of it, the rest is just adding the rest of the wiring to the ccm. If you have central locking you'll already have a ccm that most of the wires you need go to.

#6 ·
I've emailed you but I'll also stick some of the info in here for others that might come across it.

The swap was actually fairly easy, a lot easier than I thought it would be. You need all the inner door panels and the outer panels from a donor car as well as the ccm and plugs. I went for the newer type with the 1C0 ccm and relevant motors. Each door has the outer panel (I'll just call it that for ease but it's actually the panel inside the car) the one with the handles and buttons etc, and also an inner panel which all the window components are bolted to, take it all including each doors wiring loom. The front one plug in behind the kick panels and the rears plug in behind the trim where the seat belts are. There's no screws for those rear ones, you have to get your fingers in and pull the trim out of the seal so to speak then the trim just pops off. Try it on the donor car first lol. I took all them, I also took the wiring loom but it turned out I only needed four wires. Each door needs two positives, they're heavier duty than the standard stuff you get with central locking, and also two bus wires, a high bus and a low bus. All the bus wires come together behind the dash and you just join the highs together and the lows, take a high and low from that and that goes to the ccm. That's the basics of it, the rest is just adding the rest of the wiring to the ccm. If you have central locking you'll already have a ccm that most of the wires you need go to.
Could you possibly email me any wiring information you have on this topic Im tryna convert my golf rn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.