VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Volkswagen Formula XL1 Concept - Click above for high-res image gallery

Well, what do you know? When Volkswagen decided to show off the latest version of its so-called one-liter car, the Formula XL1, at the Qatar Motor Show, we wondered out loud whether or not the German automaker would actually manage to put it into production. As it turns out, that's the plan, albeit at a very small scale.

According to Automobilwoche (sub. req'd, via The Truth About Cars), Volkswagen will build 100 XL1s as a small batch of regular production machines... meaning they'll actually be offered for sale to the general populace. No word on what will power the production models, but the concept features a two-cylinder TDI engine, electric motor, lithium-ion battery pack and a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission. All that fuel-sipping goodness is enough to achieve an astonishing 0.9L/100 km - just over 261 mpg.

Germany will reportedly get first crack at the XL1, followed by the United States and China. Color us surprised that VW actually plans to produce a nearly 300-mpg machine, going to the trouble of putting it through safety and emissions tests and all that goes along with making it legal, for such a small batch of vehicles. Surprised, but pleased, while also a bit skeptical it will ultimately happen. Projects like these are usually the first to get cut when the global economy forces belts to be tightened.

Gallery: Volkswagen Formula XL1 Concept

[Source: The Truth About Cars]Report: 261-mpg Volkswagen XL1 to enter limited production originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 27 Jan 2011http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/27/volkswagen-xl1-limited-production/

·
Registered
175 Posts
It's probably going to be $100,000 or some ridiculous price due to demand. Why not use the diesel engine as a generator and have it full EV like the Volt?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The concept uses a carbon fiber tub, sub assemblies, carbon ceramic brake rotors, and aluminum sheetmetal...I would not be surprised if it cost over $100,000 just in parts. For example, carbon ceramic brake rotors typically cost around $16,000 for a set!

The car is very lightweight but it's simply not be possible to make a cheap production car with current carbon fiber technology due to cost. No carbon fiber= heavy = no longer 235 mpg.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Most likely to achieve that mileage it has little to no sound deadening in its current form. I don't care how much mileage a car gets, if its loud when driving (road/engine/etc) it is not worth any money.

What I do expect, a 100+ mpg version come 2013.

·
Registered
34 Posts
A 'Real' XL1 ?

Why make it an electric / hybrid car, weighted down with an expensive / replaceable battery ?
Who needs carbon brakes?
Give me some real sheet metal, decent sound deadening, and a good solid +100MPG and I'd be happy.
In the interim where can I find a set (4) of those aero wheels ? ( 17x7.5 ) I'm a buyer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts