VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I heard, that 1.9 PDTDI BXE and BLS engines have some issues with the connecting rod bearings and screws.
Some say, that only the screws are problematic there, and some say that the bearings too.

My A3 has a BLS engine. I have no problems with the car, I just want to prevent an engine swap.

Could someone tell me, if only the screws are advised to replaced, or the bearings too?

If I'll replace the bearings, do I have to do any measurements and choose oversized bearings if neccessary, or if nothing happened yet, standard size is enough?
The car ran 310000 km so far, first owner and oil is changed after every 15000 km.

Thank you,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reading this it sounds like it's mainly the BXE lump

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/bxe-engine.146231/

Not sure what you'd replace or upgrade though
I digged further in the topic and this is what I found:
It is mainly a BXE problem, but BLS engines also affected. The BKC, which was before these two, is not affected. The BKC block is slightly different and has a different crankshaft: 8 counter-weights instead of 4. If oil service is done after every 30k km instead of 10k or 15k, it will happen sooner. Most of the cases happened with engines from 2008.

Also found some information about how the screws of the conrod break: Upper bearing starts to wear off slowly, then seizes, slips down and so breaks the screws.

Solution: I couldn't find any good, permanent solution, apart from rebuilding everything on a BKC block and crankshaft. As a non permanent solution, replacing the bearings and the screws is a good idea.

If someone replaced the bearings before, what exact manufacturer would be the best? Is there an upgraded type, which is more durable?
Also, if I did not modified the crankshaft, there is no need for under- or oversized bearings, am I right?

·
Super Moderator
9,551 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

You only use oversize bearings when you've had the crankshaft reground.

Title changed to mean something logical. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone, sorry to bring up an old thread but has anyone replaced their Conrod bearings on the BXE engine ? Are the new bearings modified/ better to prevent failure ? I have a BXE and don't want it to go bang so I want to replace my bearings but unsure which ones to use, it's a 2007 on 68000 miles
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,551 Posts
Hi everyone, sorry to bring up an old thread but has anyone replaced their Conrod bearings on the BXE engine ? Are the new bearings modified/ better to prevent failure ? I have a BXE and don't want it to go bang so I want to replace my bearings but unsure which ones to use, it's a 2007 on 68000 miles
Thanks
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

This is a new forum layout which is owned by a company last year that doesn't give a dam with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or original similes which they refuse to install. It doesn't show the car spec/location.

Add your car specs to your signature that will show on every post you make.

Car spec now shows not for all members.

Release Notes

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a poll which no one has posted in, there are a few votes and comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Wiki pages have been restored as of 7th December, I asked where is the link it should be on top of the main forum.

Which model with the BXE engine as there are 18 VAG models that use the BXE?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My apologies I was just sweating a bit reading about this failure ....sorry will post intro .....it's a Skoda Octavia 2007 BXE engine... cheers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts