VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is mt first post so please be gentle ...

I started off by looking to replace the timing belt / water pump in my 2006 Golf TDI BEW ... after reading the great how to guide here I lifted the valve cover only to discover that Exhaust lobe #1 looked EXACTLY like the sharp edged puppy photographed in the guide ... I have ordered a new cam kit from metal man ...

Any advice on gotchas in replacing the cam, especially the sequence of the cam replacement with the timing belt, that is when do I jump out of the timing belt procedure and into pulling the cam .. its not clear to me when to lock the engine at #1 TDC ... I suspect after the cam is replaced ...

I do have a question on oil, I have spent much time reading the back of oil containers looking for 505.01 or 507 but alas I only ever seen 505.00 on the back of Castrol Syntec .. .not good for PD I understand ... which oil actually have 505.01 or 507 on the container anywhere ... apologies for a dumb question and I have read much of the posts ...

Thx .. Phil

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I think you'll need the engine 90 degrees past tdc to allow the valves room to move without contacting the pistons, do the camshaft then the belt, that's how I see it but willing to be corrected. Can't help on the oil though.:)

welcometomyturbodies

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I would do the camshaft before removing the motor mount. This way the engine is secure and the engine support is not in the way. You can also not worry about oil on the belt or whatnot.

After the new cam is on and the valve cover is replaced, support the engine and remove the motor mount and continue with TB replacement.

welcometomyturbodies

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
This is mt first post so please be gentle ...
snipped....
I do have a question on oil, I have spent much time reading the back of oil containers looking for 505.01 or 507 but alas I only ever seen 505.00 on the back of Castrol Syntec .. .not good for PD I understand ... which oil actually have 505.01 or 507 on the container anywhere ... apologies for a dumb question and I have read much of the posts ...

Thx .. Phil
There's a thread on oil sampling elsewhere...and reading that has caused me to shift to Mobile 1 Turbo Diesel Truck oil 5w-40. This is not a VW sanctioned oil, but all the evidence says it works. I have the cam issue as well and the manual that came with the car actually spec'd 505.00....with no mention of the 505.01
The write-ups Chitty and others have contributed here are excellent and he is to be commended

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my travels I found that Napa Auto Parts now seems to stock Lubro Moly (Liqui Moly) and the have the 5W-40 Diesel Tech ... they also have the Valvoline SynPower in stock ... both 505.01.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts