VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only have one key and am looking for another. There are some on eBay and I'd like to hear from people who have used them to know if it's worth it. From the dealer it will be $250 for a key so I'd like to know if there's a cheaper option. The eBay key would be $50 plus $100 for the dealer to program plus the cutting cost so it would save $100. If the quality is poor or reviews are bad I'd rather just spend the $100 right away and have the dealer do it

Opinions please

Thanks

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Some dealers won't cut keys unless you buy it from them. If all is well with them, go for it. They are probably selling OEM keys. Just check the part number and FCC number on your current key.

FYI, if your car is immo2 you can use used keys. If immo3 you cannot since the chip is matched to a VIN. Your profile doesn't list what year but the key part number should tell you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car is a 2004. Not sure how to tell if it's immo2 or 3.

The dealer broke down the key to two parts, the key/immobilizer part and the keyless entry part. Each half is $75 plus $100 to program the whole works.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've a '00 NB TDI purchased with 1 cut key.
I'm trying to create a set of 4 keys.
I found a plastic uncut valet key with transponder from an ebay seller for $15.
Also finding the rare used flip and remote (oval style) for under $30. unfortunately, will need to get blank blades for these. I think a guy on ebay sells them for about $15 each. Good news my dealership parts manager will cut the blanks for free( likely due to the fact i've been buying NB TDI parts from him for the past 8 years for my '99 NB TDI).
I did find a seller out of the UK on ebay that has the flip w/ transponder for $25 blank blade.
Comment from my poarts manager .. the metal used on this key was particularly hard and gave his key cutting machine some extra chatter.. . the new cut blade works fine.
I made a deal with the dealership GeKo programmer to re-program full set of transponders for $90
hopefully by the time i build 2 flip keys with transponders and remotes and 1 fully functional flat key with transponder and 1 plastic valet key with transponder my total out of pocket cost should be $180 - 200 or about $60 per key.
I'll have to read the RFID thread again to make certain that key transponders are re-writable and not write once read only for my years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts