VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years ago I contracted for a 6 speed conversion for the 2005 Jetta TDI, BEW. At this time the trans conversions came from Europe. This trans now has syncro issues and I want to change the box out myself. I now have a DRW and I want similar ratios so I am trying to decipher trans codes, ratios etc. I have realized there are a handful of different ratios but there are many different codes for the same ratio set. For instance, HVS, JMA, KNY, KXZ all have the same ratios which are similar to my DRW. Can I assume that anyone of these will have the same internal strength required for the TDI or are there some differences from transmissions used in the gassers? I am able to find many boxes for the 2.0l turbo gas that have my desired ratios but I am concerned that there are some differences I am unaware of. Are there any years I should I should avoid (one of my other 6spds had a bearing that spun in the case)? I've also heard there were some changes in syncros going from brass to steel. Any information on codes and or recommendations will be appreciated. Regards

1 - 1 of 1 Posts