VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a clutch and flywheel kit for my golf.I have replaced clutches in rear wheel drive cars before and am wondering the degree of difficulty on a tdi. I am going with a single mass flywheel kit. I welcome any comments or suggestions.

John

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
If you're not that experienced in replacing transmissions on this type of vehicle, it can be a bit tricky... just take your time... having a small transmission jack (Harbor Freight has a cheap one) makes life easy - especially if you're working alone...

Good luck!!

Yuri

PS: I assume you got a SMF kit... if yours is a Valeo, keep in mind that you should use a Valeo throwout bearing, as it's a bit thicker than a Sachs...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did get a valeo kit. It comes with the throwout bearing. My mechanic wants $800.00 to do the work. I figure if I can get it done in a weekend it will be worth doing myself.

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
If you have the aptitude (and it certainly sounds as if you do), it's definitely worth doing it yourself.

The instructions here are very good... There may be a bit of a hangup if the DMF in your car is stuck in a position where the bolt holes to the crankshaft don't line up, in which case you'll need some heavy-duty grinding equipment (angle grinder should work)... I'd be careful about trying to use a sledgehammer to try and turn it, as the crankshaft and bearings won't appreciate it...

Good luck,

Yuri

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. I just put some money into this car on an injector pump, timing belt kit, water pump,injectors. It runs great now but needs a clutch and flywheel. I should also mention it has 230,000 + miles on it. I am sure I can change the clutch and flywheel it is just a time to cost thing.

Thanks again

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts