VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

As the heading says.... will be changing the glow plugs on my wifes Mk2 this weekend.:panic:
I am quite experienced in car maintenance but have mostly worked on petrol hence have never changed glow plugs !!!!:eek
Whats the basic procedure ? as I have not got a Haynes for this model
Is there anything I should look out for?? or any tips please ??
Thanks
Phil

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts

As the heading says.... will be changing the glow plugs on my wifes Mk2 this weekend.:panic:
I am quite experienced in car maintenance Phil
Well you maybe experienced in car maintenance Phil but your not in car models
1991 Mk2 Golf GTD
They haven't made a mk2 Golf GTD yet and certainly not in 1991 as the GTD only came out in April 2009. As 6eggs has explained it should be straight forward. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

As Audi1z has stated the Mk2 Golf was blessed with the GTD badge in the 20th century. Fortunately the later Mk2 models were fitted with PAS and a humongous intercooler which gave the GTD 80Bhp and a 0-60 of 12 seconds and I once did 115mph on a private race track:ban which is pretty good considering its only a 1600cc. I get 56 Mpg on a motorway and the engines are built like Mike Tysons jawbone. Only 800 were imported to the UK which means they are more rare than the GTi.

So sorry Keithuk I am experienced in my models !:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Job done
Not an easy task unless you remove the fuel pump which is a daunting task on its own.
Needed to use 8 and 12mm ratchet spanners to remove and replace nuts and glow plugs.
A telescopic magnet was used throughout the job for rescuing dropped spanners and nuts, and it was very handy for screwing/spinning in and out nuts and plugs.

TOP TIP
To get the small nuts back on to the plugs was really difficult so I stuck the magnet on to the plug to magnetize the thread and then stuck the nut on to a screwdriver with some grease, lowered it into position until the magnetized plug grabbed the nut, I was then able to spin the nut on a couple of threads using a screwdriver blade whilst the thread was still magnetized..

The easiest one to do was number 4 and the hardest was number 3.
Hope this will help
future GTD owners

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.