VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

As the heading says.... will be changing the glow plugs on my wifes Mk2 this weekend.:panic:
I am quite experienced in car maintenance but have mostly worked on petrol hence have never changed glow plugs !!!!:eek
Whats the basic procedure ? as I have not got a Haynes for this model
Is there anything I should look out for?? or any tips please ??
Thanks
Phil

·
Super Moderator
9,143 Posts

As the heading says.... will be changing the glow plugs on my wifes Mk2 this weekend.:panic:
I am quite experienced in car maintenance Phil
Well you maybe experienced in car maintenance Phil but your not in car models
1991 Mk2 Golf GTD
They haven't made a mk2 Golf GTD yet and certainly not in 1991 as the GTD only came out in April 2009. As 6eggs has explained it should be straight forward. ;)

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
You are wrong. The Mk2 Golf was built as GTD, too, even in 1986. It had the features of the Golf GTI (Mk2) and the turbodiesel engine.
Cheers
Audi1z

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

As Audi1z has stated the Mk2 Golf was blessed with the GTD badge in the 20th century. Fortunately the later Mk2 models were fitted with PAS and a humongous intercooler which gave the GTD 80Bhp and a 0-60 of 12 seconds and I once did 115mph on a private race track:ban which is pretty good considering its only a 1600cc. I get 56 Mpg on a motorway and the engines are built like Mike Tysons jawbone. Only 800 were imported to the UK which means they are more rare than the GTi.

So sorry Keithuk I am experienced in my models !:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Job done
Not an easy task unless you remove the fuel pump which is a daunting task on its own.
Needed to use 8 and 12mm ratchet spanners to remove and replace nuts and glow plugs.
A telescopic magnet was used throughout the job for rescuing dropped spanners and nuts, and it was very handy for screwing/spinning in and out nuts and plugs.

TOP TIP
To get the small nuts back on to the plugs was really difficult so I stuck the magnet on to the plug to magnetize the thread and then stuck the nut on to a screwdriver with some grease, lowered it into position until the magnetized plug grabbed the nut, I was then able to spin the nut on a couple of threads using a screwdriver blade whilst the thread was still magnetized..

The easiest one to do was number 4 and the hardest was number 3.
Hope this will help
future GTD owners

1 - 8 of 8 Posts