VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there something being produced that would allow a remote starter to be installed on a 2010 Jetta TDI sedan. I understand the need for a delay for the glow plug. Very excited, once I get out of Afghanistan, 4 months and counting, my 2010 will be delivered.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
As mentioned it won't work because of the immobilizer. Look through the immobilizer FAQ for more details. There was a similar question elsewhere today where someone replied that you could put the key in the car to make the remote starter work - I am sure this will not work because I removed the immobilizer chip to test its range. The reliable range is only about 1" so unless you tape the key to the ignition switch, putting it in the car won't let the remote starter work. The range could be up to 3-4" when it's perfectly inline with the antenna but that's it.

The glow plug delay may only be a few seconds in the winter and maybe .25 second in the summer.

Here's hoping for your safe return and pickup of your car too!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not a good idea to try to bypass the immobolizer: It makes the car much easier to steal!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just picket up a 2010 Golf/Jetta Wagon fully equipped and I had a remote starter installed by the dealer. Works perfectly, only I got to key fobs, one original key and one is the remote starter.. they had to take the chip out of the original reserve key and put into the remote starter fob...

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
How does the remote starter fob work? What is the range? I'm curious exactly what they did to make it work.

I've removed the chips before and I've found that the chip range is only 1-3". It has to be next to the ignition switch during engine start but after the engine is started for a second it'll run.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The remote starter is an aftermarket product but dealer installed (so i got the full warranty). It says AUTO CAUSE on it... the range is up to almost 100 meters (i tested it). Let me get back to you once i read the manual again so i can give you more details...

·
Registered
278 Posts
You can program a delay for the glow plugs but how did they defeat the immobilizer? VW immobilizers need the key to start so if they took apart one of your keys to get the chip out, is the chip in the key fob or in the car? If it's in the car it defeats the point of the immobilizer because it bypasses the anti theft function. Then anyone can start your car if the hot wire it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I asked my friend this a while ago - they put an antenna inside the car that relays the signal to the immobilizer. You have to sacrifice a key to get the chip out and they somehow relay it with their booster antenna. It's a common job on newer cars but you have to hide the antenna or else it's obvious that it's bypassed. You have to have a remote starter that has a start delay for the glow plugs though.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I asked my friend this a while ago - they put an antenna inside the car that relays the signal to the immobilizer. You have to sacrifice a key to get the chip out and they somehow relay it with their booster antenna. It's a common job on newer cars but you have to hide the antenna or else it's obvious that it's bypassed. You have to have a remote starter that has a start delay for the glow plugs though.
:thumbsup Never knew that. I'm guessing the antenna on the ignition coil must send a signal to a booster which contains the chip because the chip itself has no external antenna and only a range of 1-3". It just looks like a tiny glass pill and can only "reply" when activated by the ignition coil antenna, so it's not like you could directly solder the chip to an antenna.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Good Question, I will inquire with the dealer... that will take some days...

I just took the reserve key without the chip (they removed it in a not so nice fashion by literally ripping it out of the plastic body) and tried to start the car. The car starts but stops after a second with the message: no key in the MFD.
And i have a little box with an antenna just behind the rearview mirror which seems to be a part of the remote starter package. Next time i pass by the dealer I will inquire...

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
That sounds sketchy. You have to buy an emulator and why would you want to spend money to make it easier for people to steal your car?

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is cheap alternative for person who lost key or if is damge immoblizer.
You don't need buy new immobilizer, keys, ECM or make coding for a lot of money.
Calculation is easy but the choice lies with you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is a great series - I am shopping for a T-reg and wondered the same thing. I currently drive a Subaru Tribeca with Remote Start - they too have an immobilizer albeit different as it's not a proximity thing, but a key thing. You have to unlock the car with the key or electronically via the fob. Once in the car, if you touch anything but insert the key - the engine shuts down. I'm sure it's the same thing. I'm glad to see it's available. What did it cost you might I ask?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Wow...this thread has caused quite a stir! Ill try to explain whats happening with the remote starte and immobilizer. When installing remote start on a car that has a chipped key that releases an engine immobilizer from preventing a start you need something called a bypass. The bypass is wired to both the brain of the remote starter and the ignition circuit. The remote starter doubles as a second ignition switch in the car basically. the installer grinds up a key with embedded chip so that the key cant be used except to fool the immobilizer. when starting the car using the remote starter, the bypass unit reads and replicates to the car's immobilizer information stored in the key's chip. The bypass unit only does this when certain criteria are met by the remote starter and if the safeguards of the remote starter are compromised in any way the bypass ceases to function. The bypass only functions when the remote starter functions thus preventing someone from hotwiring the car and driving off. The bypass (and usually the remote starter) is located in a hidden location which would not be made obvious easily if someone were trying to locate it in a theft scenario. So basically the cars immobilizer is still doing its job when the remote starter is not engaged. When the remote starter is engaged the cars immobilizer is fooled thinking there is a key present in ignition switch, but in that scenario the car is still protected by the immobilization features of the remote starter itself (ie. Brake and ignition interlocks etc)...but after all of this I would say that in a TDI with electric seats and electric heat I personally dont really see
a need for remote start especially when the car doesnt even warm up on its own at idle...but thats my opinion! I wouldn't be caught dead without the remote start on my old Toyota however!

·
Registered
1 Posts
the one key dilema

yes this is quite interesting information with my passat not coming [bought used ]with a second remote/key i am always worried if i should lose it. I am adamant about not paying the dealer the outrageous prices to code a new set of remotes they want about 1.5 hours shop time at 112 an hour as well as me having to purchase to new remotes at close to 300 each I dont think so! anyway im on a mission now to alleviate this problem/legalized robbery and after reading your post have a better idea of what i might be able to do thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts