VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased my first TDI and noticed that pretty much the same day that the oil is changed it turns jet black. The mechanic said all diesels do this. From reading the other posts here, it looks like it is because of the EGR. Either way, it is contamination. I remember in the 70s and 80s, aftermarket companies used to sell an adapter that fit on the engine in place of the filter with ports for hoses to a block that held two fine filters to better purify the oil. Has anyone heard of this for the TDIs?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
They do sell them and I know a few people here have them, maybe they will chime in. All TDI turn the oil black. The high detergent additives take care of it. Although it may not seem right, many people have done oil analysis and it shows that black oil protects as well clear oil as long as the oil is doing its job. If the impurities hurt the engine it would show up in higher wear metals in the engine oil analysis, which it doesn't. There are also long life additives in the oil which are good for 10,000 miles, the factory suggested oil change. This is why you have to use synthetic compression engine rated engine oil. PD engines (pumpe duse) like thicker oil to help avoid camshaft wear and the new common rail engines (2009+) require 507 engine oil because it's very low ash which is for the exhaust filter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you

Thank you for the detailed info. I have the PD engine. Won't sweat it. I do change oil about every 5k tho.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts