VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having problems after my Injectors upgrade my TDI would hicup every once and a while and conked out once while driving at low speed. I also got a friend saying my back break light was off then when we checked again it was working fine. The moonroof would randomly open/not open and one time my windows would not go up. I turned the car off and back on and they worked fine then. So everything pointed to electrical problems.

I checked the injection qty and timing with the VagCom. Timing was dead on and InjQty is at 3.2 (within spec) with the Bosios 520 injector nozzles.

A little research on Google let me to a few sites that pointed to the 109 Relay under the dasboard. The evil black one they mentioned was swapped out on all TDIs in 2001 and were usually swapped out by 85k. I ordered one from TDIparts.com for $8.- and swapped it out this morning. When I went to put it back in I had to put it in, different the letters were not horizontal anymore. It must be how they stamped it. The one I removed was the big black one everyone called evil. I got 180k miles out of the car with the bad black OEM installed. I now have the grey replacment one.

I drove 3 hours today and no more hicups. Cars seems to run great. I'll keep you all informed.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
the normal failure mode is sudden stalling. Good that it's fixed. FYI there was never a recall on this item but since it can cause sudden power failure I believe there should have been.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Normally it results in a total sudden stall. After a few minutes it cools down and you can drive off as if nothing happened. The only symptom other than stalling is the glow plug light not illuminating because the ECU is not getting power.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It only hiccuped or stalled for a second but reading the description this relay was causing it sounded like the black relay was the culprit. If the old hiccuping returns I'll look elsewher and let you know. The other suspect was was the brake light switch which was swapped out the last recall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts