VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Name's Jimmie. I live in El Paso, Texas. Here be the ride:

This is actually my wife's car and she loves every bit of it. I drive an '11 GTI. And here be the other ride:

Here's the 2011 next to my previous car, 2007 GTI:

Here's how the MK5 looked when I owned it, nicknamed The Candy White Hype:

And finally, my other previous GTI, nicknamed The Avocado:

200hp at the wheels wasn't too bad considering it was a 2.slow 8 valve with a little boost.

·
Super Moderator
9,547 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

I wonder why the Jetta has the front plate mount still fixed as it isn't needed in 19 US States?

Happy New Year. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great collection!

Which rides better and which handles better, the new GTI or the cup edition?
Well, my GTI is now lower. I slapped suspension on two weeks after buying it. Koni cup kit with adjustable struts/shocks. Full soft settings front and back so it's as plush as stock. The Cup basically has MK5 GLI suspension so it feels more tame and a little more comfortable than the GTI. But as it sits now, the GTI definitely handles better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

I wonder why the Jetta has the front plate mount still fixed as it isn't needed in 19 US States?

Happy New Year. ;)
Texas is one of the states that do require front license plates. Boo. Happy New Year back to you!

·
Super Moderator
9,547 Posts
Texas is one of the states that do require front license plates.
So why do you show the backing plate it would look a lot nicer without it?

In the United States, 19 states – Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, and West Virginia – do not require an official front license plate.
I don't see Texas in the list, how long have they had that law?

This is obviously a stupid law as I've argued this point on other forums. ;)

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Eh, in some states they are lax about it. When I was in California, I noticed many new cars driving around with no plates at all. I guess they don't issue temporary plates there or the cops don't enforce it. Normally they give you temp plates which you tape to your rear window.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't see Texas in the list, how long have they had that law?
Texas isn't on your list because it's a state that does require a front. Your list is the states that don't require it. And as far as how long this law has been in effect, I can't truly tell ya. As long as I can remember. The backing plate was on there because the pics were taken right when I brought it home from the dealership. I just started snapping away.

·
Super Moderator
9,547 Posts
Sorry I was getting confused with does and don'ts. So you've fitted a plate now? ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On the TDI, unfortunately yes. I'm going to hold out on wearing the front plate on the GTI as long as possible (Police or Wife, whichever occurs first).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts