VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. New member here. I've got a leaking rear main seal on my '02 Jetta TDI. It's been a slow leak for a couple of years, ever since I replaced it while installing a new clutch/SMF. Without removing the tranny I'm not sure of the exact cause of the the leak, but I'm going to replace the seal soon. I realize that it's a teflon seal that has to be installed dry.

My engine has 207,000 miles now, so I'm thinking that perhaps the crank may have a slight groove at the seal contact circumference area that is causing or contributing to the leak. As an ounce of prevention I'm thinking about installing a Redi-Sleeve on the crankshaft to create a new, ungrooved area for the seal to contact. From what I have gathered it would be Redi-Sleeve #99333. Have any of you installed one of these Redi-Sleeves? It seems to be a simple procedure. Thanks in advance for any info/tips.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Just to be clear, the seal you installed was a teflon seal right? They are supposed to be able to bridge any wear areas created by old spring seals. I've never tried the Redi Sleeve but I don't see why it won't work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just to be clear, the seal you installed was a teflon seal right? They are supposed to be able to bridge any wear areas created by old spring seals. I've never tried the Redi Sleeve but I don't see why it won't work.
Yes, the seal I installed was a teflon seal, as part of the standard seal carrier unit that gets replaced. I was careful when I replaced it to try insure that the seal lip didn't fold, and that I applied a thin coating of sealant to the bottom edge of the seal carrier where it contacts the top flange of the oil pan. But I still developed a leak of some sort.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts