VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first time on. I have a 2006 Jetta TDI with 88k miles. Just recently, a new rattle has begun under the hood. I took a screwdriver to every major part (as an ear piece) and could not detect anything. The dealer says I should install a new timing belt and water pump, now! $850.00 Any thoughts? thanks.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Technically, you're over the change interval. It used to be 100k but VW lowered it to 80k. Is the rattle related to rpm, speed, shifting? Sometimes the DSG flywheels fail and result in hard shifting/rattling at idle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rattling under hood

Technically, you're over the change interval. It used to be 100k but VW lowered it to 80k. Is the rattle related to rpm, speed, shifting? Sometimes the DSG flywheels fail and result in hard shifting/rattling at idle.
Many thanks "CCBB"! I scheduled the service after reading many of the posts regarding the change from 100K to 80K and decided not to risk another 12K with the rattle. Oddly enough, when I dropped the car off this AM, it was not making the rattling noise and, try as I might, I could not make it happen. It has been quite cold here over the past few days but the noise was not related to the weather, in my estimation. My TDI is an automatic. However, as you stated, it really only rattles at idle which makes me wonder about the flywheel. No hard shifting detected when I change over to the quasi-manual mode. We'll see if changing out the belt, water pump will make any difference. I guess this is my Christmas gift to myself!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Keith, the posts and detailed information have been very helpful, already. Love my TDI. We Yanks are starting to appreciate MPGs, finally! Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CCBB, Happy New Year. Changed out the timing belt and the water pump. Rattle still present while in gear (clue). I am not sure why the dealer mechanics didn't check it out, but I took the car back the following week and they found that the idler pully was bad. Changed that out, no more rattle. Now, why wouldn't they have noticed that the first visit? I could have saved about $150. J. Wesp

1 - 7 of 7 Posts