VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon All,

I recently purchased this 2003 TDI and am very pleased. Take a look at a few of the pictures below. The guy I purchased it from recently had his third child and he only sold it as he could not fit three car seats in the back seat. He wanted 18.5K which is somewhat insane, but I talked him down to the low 13's. All the maintenance was performed by the local VW dealership so at least it received OEM filers, oil ....

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
2003 is a good year for the TDI, the last year of the ALH engine. Yes, 18.5 is insane considering that you can buy a used 2009 for that much. Look at it this way, you got him to lower the price by 5k :)
welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So what did he replace it with? It's nice to see the original sticker, 50 mpg :)
He purchased an Audi A6. He likened it to a "German Crown Victoria" as he felt it handles worse than the TDI. While I have not driven an A6, I would assume it handles very well and just has softer suspension with less dampening. Not to mention just more overall weight.

I also happy to have the sticker as well. For my first tank I received just slightly over 51 MPG with city and highway driving which I thought was great considering we have winter fuel. I did run Stanadyne and CA40 fuel additives though, which I assume did help. I wanted an accurate reading so I filled up the filler neck each time which takes at least 4 min. with letting the air come out of the fuel and waiting for the expansion part of the tank fill up.

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
Congratulations!!!

How many miles on the car??

Many people feel that the timing belt system* should have been already replaced on that car, going by age alone... Most VW dealers in the U.S. aren't really looked upon with favor for this little (?) bit of maintenance, and people from your part of the country often drive all the way up to Whittier to get a respected TDI expert to do this...

Do read up a tiny bit... this website is an outstanding resource for the more technical aspects of car ownership and maintenance.

All the best,

Yuri

*Timing Belt System on your car includes the belt(s), tensioner, 3 idlers, water pump, and at least 5 so-called "stretch" bolts... here's how it should be done: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a4/a4_how_to_index.htm

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, the car just has 71K, but I know that many manufacturers now recommend a belt replacement at 6 years and X miles. I need to take a look at it, as I would like to swap it out at 90K (miles). My goal is to conduct a valve job at 90K when I do the timing belt and upgrade to a Colt cam, ARP head studs and have someone port the head. I would then rebuild the short block at 180K. I hope to keep this car for a long time, as with the new emission standards I don't think they will make a better vehicle. The addition of the DPF, greater EGR flow rates and or DEF in the majority of larger diesels are just something I don't want to mess with.

I like the CR system with the newer TDI's, but if I were to match the HP of my motor to the newer one I would still get better MPG. I also assume better reliability, but that is debatable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts