VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
How do I remove this thing?

I just bought a used Golf, and it has this filler insert, anyone successfully remove theirs? This thing is a real pain in the you know what. Some stations it works, most do not play well. Thought I was full, after standing there for 15 minutes, only filled to 3/4 tank with allot of foam. And yes, I know about foaming diesel and high pressure pumps. I travel allot, this will be a problem in the future. Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
You can have it removed free of charge at the dealership if you wish. I'd suggest a call to VWoA first to complain of the issues and ensure it won't effect your warranty (everything I've read says it won't, but best to be safe).

Check the last paragraph here:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Dub, love the last line regarding protection... It works great at that, I can't even fill it with diesel, much less gasoline.

Update... Just talked to the dealer, do not attempt in driveway... No charge to have it removed.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Have you tried Shell? We have absolutelly no problems at our local Shell station which happens to be the closest anyway. They may be more standardized in using the proper sized nozzles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have you tried Shell? We have absolutelly no problems at our local Shell station which happens to be the closest anyway. They may be more standardized in using the proper sized nozzles.
Hi Robert! Well, no Shell stations where I work up in Montana/North Dakota, and I cannot honestly say I saw any Shell Stations on my way back to the house in Michigan, but I know they are out there. I think the closest Shell Station to me here in Michigan is around 30 miles away.

Where I reside in Montana for work, I rent a house up there and work in the oil field, we primarily have Cenex Gas Stations. I just picked the TDI up in Minnesota the other day and drove home to Michigan from there. Problem up there in the Mon-Dak area is that we have primarily big truck fueling stations, some have the small nozzles, most do not. I can appreciate the attempt by VW by installing this device, but in my case it is a really annoying and may leave me stranded up there in Big Sky Country.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Sounds like you need one of the adapters VW dealers sell-costs a little over 8 bucks but allows all sizes of nozzles I believe. I carry one in the car just for those occasions.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just want to say something that no one else has said in this thread yet, at least not that I saw, maybe someone did and I missed it. But anyway, with the one the dealer installed in my car, it doesn't just block a certain size nozzle. Let me explain how it works. There is a thing that gets pushed in on the left side of the inside of it, that allows that flap to swivel back and allow the nozzle in.

At first I didn't notice how it works, and was quite frankly, rather annoyed, after the dealer installed it without asking me (!) at my last free service, that I seemingly could not put the funnel I use for additives into the filler neck! But then I took a closer look at it, and realized I easily could, I just had to push the funnel to the left, against that little mechanism. You can put a pencil sized nozzle in if you do it that way. So this vw fix only works with people who don't know, and go to put a smaller sized nozzle in by pushing it directly in, and not against the left side first, then it won't go in. The funnel I use necks down to a size quite a bit smaller than a gas or diesel nozzle, and I can still use it easily and fit it in all the way into the neck by simply pushing it to the left as I insert it, to release the mechanism. Once you get the nozzle or funnel in all the way, past the flap, there is no difference in fill rate vs the old style filler neck that I have been able to discern.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Fuel Neck Guard Removal

I just had this Fuel Neck Guard ( sic ), installed in my 2011, A3 at my dealership and after a 570 mile road trip I returned to my local shell station in Newton MA ( where I have religiously fueled up for the past 24,000 miles ) to refill. OK,.. I open the the cap, see this shiny new part, insert the pump nozzle and pull the trigger. I get an explosion of diesel fuel out of the filler all over my pants, my new suede boat shoes, the rear quarter of the car and of course the station drive way. After a series of loud expletives deleted, the station attendant comes running yelling that my tank must be full, and after an angry exchange with him, cursing Audi parts designers at the same time, I continued what seemed to be about a 10 minute refueling, with the pump trigger going off with every cup full of fuel pumped. I was completely outraged and near cardiac arrest. I don't know if the station did not have the proper sized nozzle or not, but what ever the size of the nozzle for gods sake don't try and micro manage the possibility of idiot mistakes ( refueling or whatever ) out of what ever choice we have left in life! my two cents.

DO NOT ALLOW THIS DEVICE TO BE INSTALLED IF YOU HAVE ANY CONFIDENCE AT ALL IN YOUR REFUELING CAPABILITIES !

Can this f$%#$^* thing be removed COMPLETELY !??? With no residual components ?? Or will I be blessed with a f#%$*& up fuel filler forever more ???

:ban :eek jaw drops :BS :pukerofl :annoyed :mad: :bangshead

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had my car in for the 30K service a few months ago. I mentioned the fueling guard recall. The service advisor said that they have taken out as many as they put in, so they only install them upon customer request.

I just went for the annual state inspection last week.

The service advisor checked if there were any outstanding recalls on the car. I mentioned the fueling guard, and that they didn't install it due to issues.

The advisor said that there is a new re-designed guard, and they have been installing it. They haven't had a single issue with the new guard. They installed it. haven't purchased fuel yet, though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How do I remove this thing?

I just bought a used Golf, and it has this filler insert, anyone successfully remove theirs? This thing is a real pain in the you know what. Some stations it works, most do not play well. Thought I was full, after standing there for 15 minutes, only filled to 3/4 tank with allot of foam. And yes, I know about foaming diesel and high pressure pumps. I travel allot, this will be a problem in the future. Thanks for any help.
I pulled it out easily using a paint can opener. 2014 Golf TDI.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts