VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Theoretically, there shouldn't be anymore HPFP failures due to misfueling, I wonder what will VW say if it HPFPs keep failing.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
It is not a recall; it is a "Service Campaign" to better protect customers. At least that's how the letter puts it :ugh

Be very careful about getting this; make sure the stations you use regularly have the proper pump nozzles or you will be unable to refuel your car once it is installed. If you have trouble, there is a refueling adapter you can get; but personally I'd get VW to provide one free of charge if you can do it... :D

·
Registered
151 Posts
Many have had problems with this and many have not. I'm thinking since there are several parts to the gadget, some get installed incorrectly. I'm having one installed tomorrow. VW sells the adapter for $8.70 which I will be picking up tomorrow when I go in for the install although I had to order one as they didn't have any in stock. I think the adapter also makes it easier to add additives.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
I got one installed in my JSW last week. After I filled up, I tested how a gasoline nozzle would fit. It seemed to me that you would still be able to put gas in.

It being not 100% idiot proof.

I just got one installed and doesn't really look like the pictured one. looks more "stock"...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I had this done last week, and went to fill up last Friday to the same fuel station I always do. The problem is, this "guard" kept shutting off the nozzle every 4–5 seconds, so I had to press it 20 or so times to fill the tank up completely. I'm going to bring it in again to have it checked. Perhaps it wasn't installed correctly? Is anyone else having the same issue?

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Many, many people are having that same issue... :ugh ;)

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
I don't have it installed yet; but there are numerous complaints about it, for the exact reasons you stated, over on TDI Club.

If it causes you trouble you can just go have the dealer remove it; most it seems are getting several complaints about the misfuel guard so they aren't even giving any hassles about taking it out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Misfueling Guard

I had the guard installed this week and now I have the same problem. Back pressure shutting down the pump at two stations, though fueling went as normal at a third station. My guess is that the third station was pumping at a lower pressure.

·
Registered
439 Posts
My wife and I got the letters in the mail 2 days ago. Our dealership has already called us to make appointments to have them installed. They will not be installed in our Golfs. :panic:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just did my first refuel after having the guard installed. My thoughts:

1) It did not affect my ability to add Opti-Lube from the vapor barrier wide mouth containers I use. There is enough room for the additive to flow past the closed flap if you pour at a slower (not slow) rate.

2) It DID affect the refueling process. I was at a modern Shell that has very new pump nozzles (the ones that have the polished SS tips). Even with those, I had to manually fuel and hold the nozzle at just the right angle. Even on just the first tooth, the nozzle would shut off if left by itself. Standing there holding the fuel nozzle isn't a big deal, except that I'd rather have been cleaning the windshield...

I'll do a few more fill ups at a few other stations, but if it stays like this, I'll have it removed. Goofy stuff!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
151 Posts
Disappointing to hear since we too, use Shell. We have our first fill up today since having it installed so we'll see how it goes. I'll be reporting back later.

·
Registered
151 Posts
We filled up at the local Shell today. I first used the adapter to put in Opti-Lube Summer. That went fine. I then removed the adapter and filled up, using the lowest tooth on the nozzle which I prefer and is not much slower anyway. That went fine; it shut off automatically.

Once I was in the car I noticed I could just barely see part of the full mark below the needle. If I raised up, the needle was sitting right over the full mark. The amount of fuel I purchased was 11.3 gallons which is about right as I had a bit over an eighth in the tank when we stopped. So, it looks like there are no problems filling up at my local Shell. I have the adapter for road trips if I need it so it looks like things are OK for us.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I was wondering about this thing myself, just got a letter in the mail about it too. The dealer said it just prevents a gas nozzle from entering, due to a tiny difference in nozzle size. Between that and the complaints here, it doesn't sound all that appealing to me. I'll be talking to them a little more about this tomorrow, when I get my last free oil change.

All I want is the car to accept a semi sized diesel nozzle, so I can stop using a funnel every time I fill up! All the good stations around me have the big semi size nozzles.

·
Registered
151 Posts
^^You will need the adapter for the large semi nozzles. I ordered one before I went in for the fix as they did not have any in stock. Picked it up in parts while I was waiting for the install.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts