VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last time I dynoed my golf before rebuilding the engine, I got 215HP with the 502's inj, and stock head,,, I just finished putting the engine together 2 days ago, I installed a nice ported head, rosten rods, new nural pistons, rings, R-520's inj, a higher lift colt cam with lash caps,,, it took me a week to do it, cause I could only worked on the car 2 to 2.5 hr daily,,, now I am driving it and I got 100 miles so far on the odometer, car has definitly different sound now, deep sound,,,, I am in the process of braking the engine in, I am going to see how far the 17/22 goes, then I will replace it with a bigger or a compound turbo, we'll see down the line what I could do to it.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I'll bet it was the search for more power ;)

520s are large injectors. The ported head and colt cam should help with engine breathing. The new rods should be stronger right?

What are lash caps and nural pistons?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reason for the upgrade is to make sure that I did not bend any of the rods and ruined my engine,, and also to race my car at the 2010 TDI fest at PDX, we will have a bunch TDI cars that are going to race there.

since my car has a cam that has a higher lift now, Lash caps are placed in between the lifters and the valves so it can quiet it down, , if you were to leave the cam without the lash caps, the car will be noisier especially when idling, Nural pistons are made In Germany they are made by the same manufactoring that makes ASV pistons I believe.

About the mods,, the car having a ported head and high lift cam is definitly breathing better, I have pushed my car to a 65% from max power to break it in, of course going at different RPMs, I already feel the power, I do not see any smoke, but it is too early to give a full diganose, or if there are any benefits from it, for sure I will be able to tell after the break in, once I step on the pedal and give it all 100%.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts