VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have an 84 jetta TD that I just rebuilt after a calamitous overheat. It starts and runs fine, but after it warms up it blows half the fuel out the tailpipe. When cold only the slightest wisp of smoke, but after it's warmed up it throws clouds of smoke, and has little power. The smoking is so bad my clothes stink of diesel and that's after working a good ways away from the vehicle while it's idling. :eek And it's the same at idle or running. I would have guessed timing, but the good cold/bad warm has me wondering what's happening. The injection pump has recently been rebuilt, and new injectors installed. Suggestions? werd

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think that after the engine warms up there's a solenoid which advances timing. Maybe the valve or sensor is bad?

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Hi,
Black smoke and loss of power point towards one ore more injectors, but we need more information.
Is it blue smoke or black smoke? Does the smoking come up with the pump getting warm, or with the cylinder head getting warm? What about the compression when the engine is warm? Does the problem vanish when you disconnect the tube for the boost pressure enrichment (the small tube going from the inlet manifold to the top of the IP)?
Could also be timing control inside the injection pump, or the adjustment screw for the injection quantity limit in idle mode (don´t have the correct english expression)
The only what you definitely can exclude is a defective solenoid valve or sensor. In the good old days of 1984 the injection pumps were purely mechanical ;-).
Audi1Z

1 - 3 of 3 Posts